Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a metal (shingle-style) painted roof. I dont know the

Customer Question
I have a metal (shingle-style)...
I have a metal (shingle-style) painted roof. I don't know the age of the roof or when it was painted as I just moved into the house 3 years ago. To my chagrin, I've noticed that the paint is starting to peel off in many places, revealing a galvanized-looking metal. My question is: what is the proper way to repaint this? In particular, I'm not sure how to deal with the peeling existing paint. thanks.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/5/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Stephen Cutler, General Contractor replied 7 years ago
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com

The good news is that a metal roof lasts 2 to 3 times as long as an asphalt roof. The factory painted versions have warrantees of 46 years. The unpainted version 25 years. Both versions easily out last the warantee and are a radiant barrier which helps keep the attic cooler. They have energy star ratings, and wind mitigation credits with insurance companies.The bad news is there was no need to paint the roof. Probably there were mild discolorations that the seller wanted to hide and simply slapped on some paint without any prep- like vigorous cleaning to make sure the paint bonds.

You do NOT want to scrape the paint with metal scrapers as you might also scrape the galvanized coating which will lead to premature rusting and failure of the roof. Chemical paint removers might react with the galvanized coating, I'm not sure, but I am sure that the cost would be prohibitive. Since the paint is adhered to dust instead of the metal, a pressure washer is worth trying. It will not harm the galvanized coating. Once you have the roof cleaned, leave it clean. If you must repaint, prime the metal first! Rustoleum makes metal primers. Automotive paint manufacturers make metal primers. Both are spray application(Rustoleum makes a brushable primer but the brush marks show).

If you have patience, just let mother nature continue to remove the, improperly seller applied, paint.

I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
If I exceeded your expectations, a bonus is greatly appreciated- it's easy to do
when you accept an answer. Or you can come back and add a bonus at a later date by using the "bonus" button at the top your question page.

Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor