Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

WHAT IS THE OHIO RESIDENTIAL BUILDING CODE PERTAINING TO THE…

WHAT IS THE OHIO RESIDENTIAL...
WHAT IS THE OHIO RESIDENTIAL BUILDING CODE PERTAINING TO THE FOOTER DEPTH, WIDTH,TYPE OF CONCRETE AND REBAR. THIS WILL BE A FOOTER FOR A ROOM ADDITION TO AN EXISTING HOUSE.
1/5/2010
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

What is your frost line depth?

What kind of soil will the footer bear on?

What are the loads going to be: 1 or 2 story, roof?

What is the wall construction: wood frame or block?

Are there abandoned mine shafts below the house?

Is the grade: flat, sloped, steep slope?

These all affect the footer requirements.

The frost line is 36".

The footer will be sitting on clay.

The footer will be 8" thk x 20" wide footer concrete with two (2) 1/2" rebar placed in the straight sections and tied in at each corner. *note this is a room addition footer appx. 18'w. x 30'L.

I specified that the concrete footer pad be a minimum of 40" below grade. 8" x 8" x 16" concrete block will be used to construct the actual footer. *note: vertical rebar installed appx. every 4' in block cores with block cores filled with concrete along with steel anchor bolts to attach sill plate.

The room addition is a single story addition using 2" x 6" wall construction, manufactured trusses and dimensional shingles.

There are no abandoned mine shafts below the existing house or room addition area.

There is a slight downhill grade. Appx. 2' in 30'.

I am actually looking for the State of Ohio residential code on footer requirements. I live in a county (no b.s.) that has no codes or inspectors. When I went to the Morrow county engineer office he kind of laughed at me saying that I would have to use the State Residential code for footers and I have had no reply of any type from the state engineers. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to the Ohio code:

http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101%3A1-18

It refers to section 1805 for footing specs, I'm looking for that now.

Got it:

http://publicecodes.citation.com/st/oh/st/b4v06/st_oh_st_b4v06_4_sec003.htm

Looks like clay soil will be an issue- in the footing section.

The design answers you want are in section 404.1 -masonry walls.

I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
If I exceeded your expectations, a bonus is greatly appreciated- it's easy to do
when you accept an answer. Or you can come back and add a bonus at a later date by using the "bonus" button at the top your question page.

Edited by Stephen Cutler on 1/6/2010 at 2:24 PM EST
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION YOU PROVIDED. I WILL SEARCH THE CODES YOU RECOMMENDED.
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor