Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

What is the retail price for this 50 gallon natural gas power…

What is the retail price...
What is the retail price for this 50 gallon natural gas power vent model: Bradford White M-1-TW-50S6FBN. Also, how much should this cost to install? I live in southern new jersey. I was just quoted $1900. This seems ridiculous to me. I just converted to natural gas and would like to replace my electric water heater. The gas is roughed in. The water heater is located about 8 feet from the gas line. In addition, could you recommend a quality affordable make and model? I have a a wife and two small children, would 40 gallons be enough?
1/4/2010
Rick
Rick, General Contractor
HiCustomerbr />
The $1900 sounds a bit high but not way out of whack since this is a new install. There isn't much added cost for a 50 over a 40. There also isn't much difference in the cost of these heaters from one brand to another. Power vented heaters are much more expensive than heaters that can vent into a chimney but if you don't have a chimney power vented units are the best way to go. Your best bet would be to get at least 2 more quotes.
I don't have a chimney. Would a side vented unit be better/cheaper? It will be located in the utility room of a finished basement. It is about 8ft from the wall, is that an issue for side vented heaters? My current heater is only five years old, will the savings be worth the outlay of cash?
A power vented unit is side wall vented. You won't get your money back with this expenditure even if gas is a much cheaper way to heat water. Maybe you should wait until your current heater fails then look into a power vented heater. When it's time to replace the heater switching to gas would make more sense, cost wise.
Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Rick
Rick
Rick, General Contractor