Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I have french doors. They meet in the center and a lock pin…

Customer Question
I have french doors....
I have french doors. They meet in the center and a lock pin on the bottom of the right-hand door goes down into the frame to keep it stationary. There is a 1 cm opening at the bottom of the doors where they meet that has no weather stripping, allowing a cold draft to come in. Any ideas what type of material or stripping to buy? Most stores carry only the kind for the door jams.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/4/2010
Home Improvement Expert: tinman, Home Improvement Enthusiast replied 8 years ago
tinman
tinman, Home Improvement Enthusiast

Hi, thank you for contacting justanswer.

You have a couple of options. You can buy a rubber sweep that you install on the bottom of the doors. You can adjust this sweep/close the gap and stop the infiltration of cold air.

This would be the least expensive solution.

The other solution would be to install an adjustable threshold. You can then raise the threshold up high enough to close the gap under the doors. But these thresholds can be expensive.

thanks, tinman