Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

i just bought my house and we are experiencing condensatio…

Customer Question
i just bought my house...
i just bought my house and we are experiencing condensation
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/4/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Rick, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Hi mamami

Condensation where?

hi rick,

my house is a brand new house built last year,now in the winter i see condensation around the metal of my glass which is cursing damage the wood.

Condensation occurs when the moisture in warm air condenses on colder surfaces since colder air can't hold as much moisture. It's not uncommon for condensation to occur on windows since they are usually colder than the surrounding air. If you have windows with metal frames the metal can conduct the cold into the living space. This is usually mitigated by creating a thermal break between the metal outdoors and the metal on the inside of the window. When it is very cold even a thermal break is not always effective. There isn't much you can do to eliminate this condition except, perhaps, to lower the humidity levels in the house but this can make the living space less comfortable.
what do i need to do to eliminate these problem?is it the builders fault?i live in dallas texas.
Since you live in a relatively warm climate the builder might not have used windows with a thermal break. So in this regard (if this is the case) you could say it's the builders fault. All you can do now is reduce the humidity level in the house. If you are using a humidifier then stop using it or you could use a de-humifier but this could reduce the humidity level to a point where the air in the house might be uncomfortable.
Rick
Rick, General Contractor
who do i call to check these for me?maybe i need to thermal around my glass.
Your best bet would be to call a glass company. They might try to sell you new windows but insist on another alternative.