Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

We have built an addition on our home with half of it being…

Customer Question
We have built an addition...
We have built an addition on our home with half of it being a cover porch over a new basement room. What is the best thing to use to seal the porch so it doesnt leak into the basement?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2010
Home Improvement Expert: Stephen Cutler, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor

Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.

Is this a covered porch, or an enclosed porch?

Hi

Its is a covered porch roof only. We live in an area with wind driven rain and snow.

thanks so much.

OK. You will need to construct a roof over the new basement room. This roof will need to pitch up to the existing exterior wall and be flashed into it. Flashing is the best way to seal the roof. Roofing cements, caulkings, and other goober fail, and once you set your deck on the roof you will not have access to deal with failed goobers. I am partial to double coverage asphalt roll roofing for resting a deck upon. Rubber membrane roofings are good too, but more delicate.

Once you have your roof installed, lay 2x4PT sleepers parallell and on top of the roof joists. They do not require alot of nails! And place a wad of roof cement under the 2x4 where any nail will penetrate the roof. Attach your decking to the 2x4 with fasteners that WILL NOT penetrate thru the 2x4 and into the roof!

I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
If I exceeded your expectations, a bonus is greatly appreciated- it's easy to do
when you accept an answer. Or you can come back and add a bonus at a later date by using the "bonus" button at the top your question page.

Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor

HI

Some how I didn't communicate something the right way so I will try again. We built an addition with a basement, the basement is below the covered porch ,the porch is open on 3 sides. My question is: what is the best way to seal the porch so that it doesn't leak into the basement.

thanks

Do you mean you have already built the porch deck without a roof under it?
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor