Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

Iam building stone steps in the front of my house the three…

Customer Question
Iam building stone steps in...
Iam building stone steps in the front of my house the three steps rise are within California building code at 6 inches I would like to put a landing at the bottom of the stairs so to step on to the landing the rise would only be 4 inches
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/3/2010
Home Improvement Expert: MJ, Architect replied 8 years ago
MJ
MJ, Architect
HelloCustomer and thank you for your question.

Unfortunately, if you reduce the lowest riser to only 4", while leaving the others unchanged, then your stair will no longer meet the building code.
The building code allows no more than a 3/16" difference in height between any two successive risers, and no more than a 3/8" variation between any two risers in the flight of stairs.

Your options would be to excavate/re-grade such that you can set your landing at a height that allows the bottom riser to remain at 6", or build the landing at your originally intended location but modify or rebuild your stair such that all risers are equal.

I hope this information is helpful, and if so that you will please click the green "ACCEPT" icon as this is the only way that I can be paid for my answer through JustAnswer.
Feel free to ask additional related questions.
Thank you.
MJ
MJ, Architect