Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I live in Michigan in a house that is owned by my fiancees…

I live in Michigan in...
I live in Michigan in a house that is owned by my fiancee's parents. We are on state aid and have very little income. We have to pay for the utilities but not have to pay rent. The homeowner said that we are responsible for the repairs. The roof needs to get replaced and the state won't help me with any repairs since I don't own the house. I know it's the homeowners responsibility to maintain the house, do I have any rights? Am I responsible to make the repairs?
1/1/2010
electrifier
electrifier, Electrical and Mechanical Inspector
What county are you in?
I live in Dickinson County. I also had to obtain renter's insurance as the owners homeowner insurance doesn't cover anything of mine or my fiancees.
Did you sign a lease or rental agreement saying you would pay for all repairs? It is normal to have renters insurance on your posessions as the owners carry the insurance on the structure. Normally, however, the landlord is responsible for repairs. I would think of a roof repair as being normal maintenance. Roofs only last so long. It's nice that it's rent free but with no income it's not possible to pay for something like that.
Where is Dickinson County? I've never heard of it. Is it in the UP?
No lease was sign or rental agreement. Dickinson County is in the UP, by the Wisconsin border.
I have a friend in Ironwood but I have never been there.
With no lease or rental agreement there is no way to force you to replace the roof. I would call that maintenance, not repairs. Roofs must be replaced or repaired every so often. They are just letting you live there for free. If you need a faucet washer you take care of it. If they get hardnosed it will destroy your relationship with them but that is the price to be paid if they get tough about it. I would think you have until April to figure this out. I'm sure there will be no roof repairs done now.
electrifier
electrifier
electrifier