Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

PGT WINDOWS How do you fix a PGT single hung window spring

Customer Question
and cord? I have...
PGT WINDOWS How do you fix a PGT single hung window spring and cord? I have PGT single hung Windows with an aluminum spring that has broken and I need to get it out of the frame and fix?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/19/2009
Home Improvement Expert: Stephen Cutler, General Contractor replied 8 years ago
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer.com.
Here is a link to PGT. At the bottom there are links for where to buy and for contact us. You can get factory replacement parts there.

http://www.pgtindustries.com/Pages/Main.aspx?PageID=100

I hope that this information was helpful to you. If it was please remember to click "ACCEPT" on your screen to make sure that I am paid for my efforts. By clicking ACCEPT you are not giving up your ability to ask more questions pertaining to this subject, and I will be happy to respond to these as well. Please take a moment and leave feedback, it is very important!
Hi Stephen,

Sorry I did not get back sooner I have been out of town. I have already been to this web site and I do not see any instructions on how to get the window out of the frame. There are two springloaded aluminum mechnisisms on either side that hold it in place. One broke and is out ther other is in place and prevents me from getting the window out to see what I need to do to fix it. That is my questions, how do I get that part released so I can get the window out of the frame.

OK. lift the window 1 inch. Release the tilt out latches, tilt the window 90 degrees to the frame. Tilt the window so the good spring side is up all the way and the bad one down. Keep lowering the bad one until the window retaining ears slip out of the spring blocks.

Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor

Stephen,

I do not have a tilt window but your advice gave me an idea. There were inserts in the top of the window track and when I took them out I could disconnect the spring. I am accepting because you were on the right track, no pun intended.

Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler
Stephen Cutler, General Contractor