How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Home Improvement Jay Your Own Question
Home Improvement Jay
Home Improvement Jay, General Contractor
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 1053
Experience:  Construction, mold remediator and pest control
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Home Improvement Jay is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

outside facing wall was wet inside after taking down plaster

This answer was rated:

outside facing wall was wet inside after taking down plaster board. I have removed insulation and exposed the base board with flashing (along the floor inside the wall) and flashing is pretty badly rusted. My outside wall has a few inches of decorative concrete (so going in and replacing flashing and correctly fixing the situation, really not an option). I have used a dehumidifier, and now would like to know any suggestion on how to treat what is there and fix it up.
Thank you for using Just Answer!

Without repairing the source of the water intrusion anything that you do is just going to be a temporary bandaid. If there is mold present on any of the wood members it can be sealed with Kilz Original. Ideally any moldy materials should be replaced, but if this is not possible then the next best option is to use a sealant. All of the affected building materials must be dried completely though. The use of a dehumidifier is a good start. If you have a moisture meter available it will be able to measure the moisture content in the wood and determine when it is effectively dried.

The flashing being completely rusted could be stabilized by nailing a new piece of flashing up against the existing. It will not be very effective in repelling water but will provide some stability to the rusted flashing. New insulation can be put in place as well.

I would recommend trying to locate the source of the water intrusion on the exterior. Whether it be a roof leak or cracks in the exterior wall. Cracks could be addressed with an exterior sealant or a roof repair may be necessary.

My concern is that just "fixing" what is there will result in doing the whole process again at a later time.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yea, the sprinkler system was spraying on the outside wall and the wall is in a bad place that doesn’t get much sun.. the sprinklers have been rearranged, so as to spray away from the wall.

A moisture meter has been used and the moisture is no longer in the wall. Now I’m looking for preventive measures...

No mold present maybe a little mildew. I’ve gone through and sprayed with bleach - now I’m looking into covering it down there with I guess what you have said Kilz Original (I even thought tar, as for the roof).

Then just along the bottom, I would use Great Stuff (although for caulking). All other wall insulation foam needs to be bought in large quantity, except Great Stuff. Also the foam will reduce air flow. Then regular isolation, to code for the rest of the wall and then drywall.

Good to go. no?
Yes, most important is the fact that you have corrected the source of the water intrusion. If the wall materials are completely dry then go ahead and paint with the Kilz Original as a preventative measure. The Great Stuff can be used to fill any larger cracks or holes that may allow future moisture to enter the wall. Follow up with the wall insulation as you have planned and then drywall. I also recommend doing an inspection of the exterior wall to patch any cracks or holes that may allow water intrusion.
Home Improvement Jay and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you