The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

Dining, Coffee, Side, Desk and Server tables – Standard METRIC height

Customer Question

What is the standard METRIC height for tables? Dining, Coffee, Side, Desk and Server?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 9 years ago.

Hi Customer,

The standard heights in US measurements are:

Coffee table -16"

Side table - 19"

Dining table, and desk- 28"

Serving cart - 32"

Converted to metric measurements they would be:

Coffee table -40.64 cm

Side table - 48.26 cm

Dining table, and desk - 71.12cm

Serving cart - 81.28

Best regards,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Hi, standard sizes in Europe are different to standard sizes in the US. So, you cannot just convert them, unfortunately.

I'm sorry Sandy, but I don't think that the people in Europe are that much bigger or smaller than the people in the USA. So why would their tables and other items of furniture be different? Having spent two years in Germany I can tell you that I noticed no difference in the heights while there.

While there I was afforded the pleasure of traveling to England, France, Belgium, Holland, and Italy. Again I don't recall any difference in the usual furniture items you mentioned.

Is there a specific reason you need these conversions, or heights in general?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Hi, it's an assignment for class. I am studying at Harrington Design School in Chicago. Our teacher told us specifically not to convert from US standards and that there were different standard dimensions in Europe. Sorry, I should have been more clear in my question. I have searched all over the net and cannot find the standard sizes in metric.

WOW! Very prestigious school if I'm not mistaken. I am impressed!

Ok. As I am a firm believer in teaching by leading. I am going to point...................As in point you in the right direction rather than just giving you the numbers, and you not learning anything from the exercise (which is your teachers intention here I'm sure) I offer this advice.

Instead of going to google and searching try going to the right google.

Specifically http://google.co.uk/ once there be sure and check the radio button for only UK sites (top left center).

Next enter the search term how tall is a British dining table. Add the word 'formal' to the search term if you don't want to know how high a back yard picnic table is. Do the same for all the heights you require. If you want to get real fancy schmancy search for terms like Queen Anns' table, or Her Majesties tea service cart.

Of course if you like I will get the dimensions for you. That is of course what I m being paid for. But if you are anything like I am when it comes to finding something that everyone says just isn't available you will dig into this with both hands tickling the keyboard like an English to Swahili closed caption translator (FYI That is REAL fast typing. Lot of BIG words in Swahili).

Best regards,

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Funny that you mention google.co.uk as I spent hours on it yesterday and this morning before posting my question! I am actually from the UK. I tried your search of 'how tall is...' but there was no definitive answer. I am going to try a few different furniture websites and check the sizes they offer and see if I come up with a pattern. I was hoping to get a straight out answer without endlessly searching the net but it seems that there is no avoiding it. By the way, a good website for standard US sizes is woodbin.com.

Ok, sizes coming up. I ran into plenty of them in my search. All the same too.

Is your teacher looking for classic sizes? Like the Queen Ann series or something like that?

I don't understand what specifically is after here. I can understand a designer needing to know how high a table or a piece of furniture is but if I were a designer or a craftsman building furniture then I would think that aside from the odd custom design or art decor motif that people want a table the same size that they have eaten or worked on since they were a kid.

If you think about it, except for oriental dining, I would not be real happy eating at a table that is 4" lower or higher than the tables at Mc Donald's. It would feel strange. That would tend to make customers uneasy and that isn't good for any dining experience. The same would apply if I went to a dinner at the new bosses house. Now that would be uncomfortable. I just need the lumber and the LCD's. Got everything else.

Any clarification would be most helpful.

Thank you.

BTW Nice wood working site. I'm planning to build a computer station for myself. It will be customized with not only work features but gaming features as well. Like flip up 5 position adjustable joy stick platform. Swing out from under unit steering wheel and shifter platform, gas brake clutch Pedals will be solid mounted from the base of cabinets back. Dual Sony 24" LCD screens (when I can afford to buy them), Speakers mounted at top corners of shelving with base drivers at lower area below bottom drawers. This is also a semi wrap around unit. If I can ever get it started it should be pretty sweet.