Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

my mother had a bowl put away for yrs and it is sapost to ...

Customer Question
my mother had a bowl...
my mother had a bowl put away for yrs and it is sapost to be clear but now it has a smokey look to it. how to i get that out iv tried vinager, amonia and they don''t seam to work.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
5/6/2008
Home Improvement Expert: Brian, Architect replied 10 years ago
Brian
Brian, Architect

Hi Shelley91944. Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

What is the finish on the bowl?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Reply to Brian's Post: it is just a plan clear glass large bowl that would be used for salad . It was a wedding gift to my folks over 50 yrs ago.

Thanks you
              Shelley

Can you tell if it is dirt on the outside?

Is it even on the bowl or patchy?

Reply to Brian's Post: its not dirt it is very smokey and is patchy in places it has been in a box as i said for years not coverd just with the box closed

Hello Shelley91944,

Welcome to Just Answer. If interested, Click here to view my credentials.

I have never seen clear glass turn smokey, unless there are some impure particles in the glass and somehow they are converting over time, naturally. I would verify that it is not dirt and I would try using a razor blade or laquer thinner or acetone to see if it cleans anything off the outside. These will be more effective then ammonia or vinegar.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please reply to this post.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please click the green "ACCEPT" icon, if you are completely satisfied with my answer

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK; it is important to me

BONUSES are appreciated

This is a FEE based website & your payment allows us to be here for you