Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I drilled two 1-1/2 holes for gas lines through all ...

Customer Question
I drilled two 1-1/2" holes...
I drilled two 1-1/2" holes for gas lines through all studs on a load bearing wall. Is this right?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
5/2/2008
Home Improvement Expert: Edward, Handyman replied 10 years ago
Edward
Edward, Handyman

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. According to section R602.6 of the 2003 IRC, it states that studs in bearing walls can only be bored to a maximum diameter of 40% of the stud's width. The hole should be no closer than 5/8" to either edge of the stud. Using 2x4 studs the hole should be no larger than 1.40 inches.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you can leave positive feedback. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. If you do not accept, your deposit if applicable, will remain in your account until you request otherwise.

Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer and feel you can leave positive feedback.

Edward
Edward, Handyman