Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

we have lost water pressure progressively over the past few ...

Customer Question
we have lost water pressure...
we have lost water pressure progressively over the past few months, what could cause that?    dont know if related, but our toilet also fights to flush. it works properly about every 5 flushes. any ideas to try?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
5/2/2008
Home Improvement Expert: Brian, Architect replied 9 years ago
Brian
Brian, Architect

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer. If interested, Click here to view my credentials.

There are a few things you can check:

The water pressure coming into your house could be too low. I would begin by checking the pressure coming into the house by attaching a pressure gauge to one of your outdoor water spigots. These gauges can be purchased at your local hardware/ home improvement store. Click here to see a pressure gauge. This will tell you if the pressure is too low. Pressure should be between 60- 80 p.s.i. If it is low and you have city water, I would look at calling them to inspect the valve at or near the street. You can have the water meter, pressure reducing valve, and backflow preventor inspected; these are typically installed right next to each other, where the water line enters the dwelling. You could also have mineral buildup in the lines in your dwelling, which would require replacing some of the main lines, and you might as well increase the size while you are at it; this will help bring in more water.

If you have a well, then either the pump is starting to go or is clogged, or the well water may be getting low; you could have a plumber/ well repair inspect these items.

Other minor things to check if the water is sluggish in specific areas and not the whole house:

If the flow from your faucet is sluggish, the trouble may be in the faucet aerator. This device, at the tip of most faucet spouts, mixes air and water for a smooth flow. But minerals or dirt particles in the water often build up on the screen and disc, blocking the flow. If mineral deposits are to blame or if aerator parts are damaged, it's best to replace the aerator. If dirt is the problem, follow these steps:

• 1. Unscrew the aerator from the end of the spout.
  • 2. To loosen stubborn connections, douse them with penetrating oil.
  • 3. Disassemble and set the parts aside in order. Clean the screen and disc with a brush and soapy water.
  • 4. Use a pin or toothpick to open any clogged holes in the disc.
  • 5. Flush all the parts with water before putting them back together.

It is important to note that aerators would be the cause of the problem, only if hot and cold pressures have dropped. It is important to determine if the both hot and cold have dropped or just one; this will help at diagnosing the problem more accurately.

Another thing to check, are any valves that are in the supply line either after or before the hot water heater. If any of these are not open all the way or if the rubber seal inside as deteriorated, it could be blocking the flow of water. The way to check these, is to shut off the main water supply and unscrew the nut that is directly below the handle. This will allow you to remove the rubber compression fitting to inspect it.

Shower valves can become clogged with particles and can be cleaned by opening and flushing the valve out.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please reply to this post.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please click the green "ACCEPT" icon, if you are completely satisfied with my answer

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK; it is important to me

BONUSES are appreciated

This is a FEE based website & your payment allows us to be here for you

Reply to Brian's Post: thoses were good suggestions, but ones that were already tried
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX site in mind if needed again

Do you still need help finding the problem?

Reply to Brian's Post: not at this time, but thanks for being there
its good to know there is a place to get help when needed = sorry that this time didn't work out for us, but i still have a postive feeling on the site
Home Improvement Expert: Glenn, Electrician replied 9 years ago
Glenn
Glenn, Electrician
Hello

Do you have a well ?
DO NOT NEED HELP ANY LONGER AS STATED TO BRIAN -- WILL CONSIDER SITE USE IN FUTURE AS LONG AS SITE ACCEPTS NO MEANS NO -- I UNDERSTOOD THE TERMS TO BE PAYMENT UPON SATISFACTION, WELL THERE WAS NO SATIFACTION THIS TIME, SO PLEASE REMOVE DEPOSIT AND IF NEEDED IN FUTURE WILL CONSIDER SITE
Glenn
Glenn
Glenn, Electrician