Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

I am putting a double-door closet in a part of my house ...

I am putting a double-door...
I am putting a double-door closet in a part of my house where I don't want to use bi-fold or regular doors which will stick out into the room when open. I've seen storage cabinets and armoires with doors that open perpendicular to the cabinet and then slide back into the inside of the cabinet. Rockler makes something called a "Flipper Door system," but it only works with doors an inch thick. Are there any ways to do that with 2 regular size closet doors? It's the same idea as a pocket door, but with a pivot back into the closet, instead of into the walls alongside the closet. (I don't have room for regular pocket doors.)
5/1/2008
Brian
Brian, Architect

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer. If interested, Click here to view my credentials.

There is hardware that you can purchase for regular size doors. Unfortunately, this hardware is a little pricey, but it is high quality and they are one of a very few companies that provide it. The company is called Hafele and you can see their hardware at Hafele.com/us. I tried to find the actual hardware for you but their site was taking too long to maneuver in, and I wanted to answer your question. They do make it, because i have bought the hardware several times.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please reply to this post.

Best of Luck, Brian

Please click the green "ACCEPT" icon, if you are completely satisfied with my answer

PLEASE LEAVE FEEDBACK; it is important to me

BONUSES are appreciated

This is a FEE based website & your payment allows us to be here for you

Brian
Brian, Architect
Reply to Brian's Post: Do you know what the hardware is called?   I went to the Hafele website and couldn't find anything like this.
I was trying to find it, as well, and I remember in the past, I have had a hard time finding it online. Now I use their catalog at my office. I do not have it in front of me, but if I remember correctly, they call it a sliding pivot hinge hardware X2/ X3. If you want to wait until the morning (Eastern Time) I can get you the exact information.
OK, let me know tomorrow morning. I googled sliding pivot hinge and came up empty. My carpenter is coming tomorrow to finish framing the closet and we have to decide what's happening with the doors.
Great......I'll get you the info. first thing in the morning and I'll also post a picture of them installed.

Here is a scan from the catalog; I have used the 35/ X3 for a standard door, the others are different in that they can hold different weights and heights of doors. I thought I had a picture of them installed, but I can only find pictures prior to installation....Sorry. I would recommend either calling them directly to inquire, with these model numbers or you could attempt to find them on their website, if you want.

graphic

graphic

Best of Luck, Brian

BONUSES are appreciated

These were the drawings that were used.

graphic

graphic

This is perfect. and the drawing are exactly what we're doing. It's a washer dryer closet in our bedroom.   When the doors opened and slid back, are they exposed, or is there an enclosure inside the closet.

You can do it either way; the catalog drawing shows a panel that makes an enclosure. I chose to leave them exposed, because I felt enclosing them was not worth all the hassle, especially since the enclosure has to be removeable for maintenance reasons.

Best of Luck, Brian

BONUSES are appreciated

Reply to Brian's Post: When you said pricey, I didn't know what you meant.
I just priced the set for both doors and the cost is $3000.   I'll have to look for another solution.
The cabinet door brackets only go for about $200., but the maximum door with is an inch. I don't know what my options at that width would be, other than a   piece of plywood, with won't look so great.
I know it, I think that is why they cost so much. I have clients that do purchase them, because they want that feature. You can try Accuride, which is another company that makes a similar system for less, but you will be limited on door width again; I cannot remember the exact width.