Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Recently, a plumber redid the shower pipes to put the head ...

Customer Question
Recently, a plumber redid the...
Recently, a plumber redid the shower pipes to put the head higher in the master bath. No shower head installed yet. We turned the water to the house off and on several times. 36 hours later, only cold/lukewarm water came from downstairs shower and sink; still hot water upstairs. Next day, no hot water upstairs in 3rd bathroom. Next day, noticed water puddle under gas water heater. 10 years old...we got new one put in. Still no hot water. Installer came back and exchanged heater for a second new water heater. Still no hot water anywhere in the house. Water pressure is fine at all faucets. Pilot light is on; burner ignites when I use 15 minutes worth of "hot" water; pipe leading out of heater to house is hot to touch. Water that was drained out of new heater #1 was hot.   Why isn''t hot water getting out of heater/pipe into faucets in house?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
5/1/2008
Home Improvement Expert: Edward, Handyman replied 9 years ago
Edward
Edward, Handyman

Hello Customer,

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. :

Could you explain your situation a little more?

How old is the plumbing in your home?

Are you on city or well water?

Do you know if the water to your home is considered to be hard?

Do you notice white mineral deposits forming on some of the fixtures?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Reply to Edward's Post: The house was built in 1985. City water. Yes, it's considered to be hard water. No mineral deposits noticed. I thought it might be sediment collection that was the problem, since we turned water off and on several times and I've heard that can cause sediment to fall into the pipes. But water pressure is normal.

The hot water plumbing is more susceptible to mineral buildup. The buildup often is a problem in the hot water pipes and will cause problems much sooner than it will in the cold water pipes.The problem of no or very little hot water pressure is a common problem. The images below are of the inside of water pipes that have buildup in them.

graphicgraphic

I have seen the buildup get so bad that you could not see through a 1 foot piece of pipe. When the water is cut off and back on this can loosen the buildup and cause it to lodge and block the water flow. When the buildup gets to this severity, replacement of the pipes causing the blockage is the only way to solve the problem. A water softener will help keep this from happening again but will do little to correct the buildup once it has formed. The build up was likely getting stuck in the cartridges of the hot water faucets, causing the no hot water condition.

But the water pressure is normal on both the hot and cold water, all faucets. Could buildup be so bad but water pressure be just fine?

If you have water pressure but no hot water I will bet you have some sort of scald saver, or looping system to regulate the hot water that is causing the problem. I will guess the water heater has hot water if you open the drain or pull the PT valve on the water heater. Is that correct?

Yes, correct that hot water comes out of the heater when drained, and that the pipe leading out of the hot water heater is hot to the touch. Is the scald-saver/loop system something inside the water heater that can be removed?

No the system is not in the water heater. Some homes will have scald saver fixtures. This keeps extremely hot water from coming out of the fixtures. In your case I would believe you have a mixing valve. Mixing valves allow hot water directly from the hot water heater to be combined with a controlled amount of cold water in the valve itself, depending on how you have it adjusted. Click here for more information on this topic. You can normally follow your hot water pipe to the valve. There you will see the hot water and cold water line attached to the valve.

Edward
Edward, Handyman
Edward
Edward
Edward, Handyman