Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Is there a roof attach bracket system for arbors

Customer Question
To eliminate the need for...
To eliminate the need for posts on the house side of an arbor, we would like to attach the back board to the roof above a low overhang.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
5/1/2008
Home Improvement Expert: jcdill, Handywoman replied 9 years ago
jcdill
jcdill, Handywoman
Hello Chrislehr,

There are no specific brackets to adapt a free-standing arbor to one that mounts to your roof on one side. A carpenter can custome fashion and attach a bracket that will do the job for you.

However, I caution you to reconsider instaling your arbor in this way. When the time comes when you need to fumigate your house there will be no way to place the fumigation panels between the arbor and your home, so the arbor will need to be inside the tent, and the plant on the arbor will be killed by the fumigation chemicals. This is why arbors are not normally installed in the way you propose.

jc
jcdill
jcdill
jcdill, Handywoman