Edward
Edward, Handyman
Experience:  Handyman, Master Gardener
3134513

Where is the furnace filter located on Byrant plus furnace?

Customer Question

I have a Bryant Plus 80 furnace. I can''t locate the filter. It might be inside furnace itself (there is no separate cabinet for a filter). How do I open the front of the furnace? (It''s vertical.)

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Edward replied 9 years ago.

Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the model number of the furnace?
What is the age of the furnace?
Do you have a digital camera that you could use to send pictures of the furnace if needed?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Edward's Post: I've looked for the model #, but can't find it. This is a gas furnace (electric ignition). It is probably about seven years old (it came w/the house which we bought in 2004). The previous owner has been little help. He'd told me at one point to just open a cabinet and it would be there. To the right of the furnace are two heavily insulated metal boxes. I've peeled what I could back, hoping there was a filter somewhere. No luck. I suspect it might be actually inside the furnace itself; perhaps in a flat or vertical direction. I am clueless as to opening the furnace cabinet. It has two distinct sections, top and bottom. Would there be a latch somewhere to release a door? I've poked and prodded on the sides, but can't find anything. Maybe I just firmly grasp sides of cabinet front & remove? Or lift up? Or maybe it swings open one direction or another? (I've never had a manual for the furnace which would've helped.) If the model # is inside the furnace, I'm in a catch 22 situation here. Can't help with a photo. Thanks for your efforts.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 years ago.

graphic

graphic

Briant has made several models of the Model 80 furnaces over the years. Most had a filter box attatched to the firnace. Do any of these resemble your furnace?
When was the last time the furnace was professionally serviced?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The furnace at the bottom looks like mine, except that side box for mine is on the right. I mentioned the box was thickly insulated. Should I peel the insulation off to actually get a good look at it? I've only stuck my hand around in there to see what's lurking. The furnace has not been serviced since we bought the house.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 years ago.

Many homeowners do not realize, the complications of not having a professional inspect the heating system yearly, can cause. If a fire, or worse, is caused by the furnace and there are no records of the furnace being maintained, the insurance company can and will deny the claim for damages. I have worked on systems after they have caught fire and the homeowners got no help from their homeowners insurance for the damage. I have installed furnaces in new homes that the owners were building to replace a home that was destroyed by fire from not having the furnace serviced. I like every customer to have this information to consider.

Click here to download or view a manual for a Byrant 80 furnace. It may not be the exact model you have but it shows the filter and how to access it and this information will be the same as yours.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Thank you for your superb advice.

Expert:  Edward replied 9 years ago.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/397374/Furnace-user-guide?ga_related_doc=1

This link has several Bryant manuals, you might look and find one that looks like yours since you do not know the model number. > http://www.gogeisel.com/geiselonline/support/homeowner_manuals.html

If there are not similar to what you have please let me know and I will look farther.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Want to thank you so much for your excellent help in this matter. With your advice and the print-out of the manual, I was able to not only successfully locate the filter (in a vertical position, lower right portion of cabinet), but I cleaned it as well. What a relief! I don't know what I would've done without you.

I will also follow your advice re having a yearly check-up of the furnace.