Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

How do I adjust the flame mixture on my furnace The ...

Customer Question
How do I adjust the...
How do I adjust the flame mixture on my furnace? The flame isbright orange for the most part, not blue. It doesn''t put out as much heat as it could. I feel that the air/fuel mixture is not right. I know fuel oil systems but am new at propane heat in my new location
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/17/2008
Home Improvement Expert: Edward, Handyman replied 10 years ago
Edward
Edward, Handyman

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer.

Could you explain your situation a little more?

What is the make and model number of the furnace?

When was the last time the furnace was professionally serviced?

What is the age of the furnace?

What have you tried to correct the problem?

Do you have a digital camera that you could use to send pictures of the furnace if needed?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem.

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

The furnace is a Intertherm ModMGH -o550AB   It has a date code of 840n303-03. There is a UL tag with a number V 574589.
I bought this place in August of 2007 and just today finally lit the furnace. It just seems that the flame should contain a lot mor blueish color instead of all the orange. I just want to make sure I don't run into trouble. I know how to work on fuel oil heaters but never messed with a propane heater before.

Actually the flame should have the color close to the flame below.

graphic

Any orange indicates a poor burn. This can cause several problems, the most dangerous is increased carbon monoxide. Another problem it will cause is the formation of soot which will have to be removed. The orange flame can be caused by several things, improper gas pressure and most likely a dirty burner that needs to be cleaned. Since you have indicated you do not have any messed with a propane furnace, I would like to strongly suggest that you have the furnace serviced by you favorite HVAC service company.

Many homeowners do not realize, the complications of not having a professional inspect the heating system yearly, can cause. If a fire, or worse, is caused by the furnace and there are no records of the furnace being maintained, the insurance company can and will deny the claim for damages. I have worked on systems after they have caught fire and the homeowners got no help from their homeowners insurance for the damage. I have installed furnaces in new homes that the owners were building to replace a home that was destroyed by fire from not having the furnace serviced. I like every customer to have this information to consider before repairing the furnace themselves. It would be a shame if you had a problem due to wanting to save a few dollars needed to have the furnace professionally serviced. I am all for DIY repairs but at times it id best to call a pro and watch them to see what they do.

Please do not accept this answer if you are not 100% satisfied with the information.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

If you accept my answer please leave feedback.

Edward
Edward, Handyman
Edward
Edward
Edward, Handyman