Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

Why does my water heater hum when filling up?

Customer Question
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
1/13/2008
Home Improvement Expert: Kevin, Plumbing & HVAC Technician replied 10 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Plumbing & HVAC Technician

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

-What kind of water heater do you have (electric, gas, oil fired)?

-Is it a tank type or tank less?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Reply to Kevin's Post: The water heater is a tank-type and uses natural gas. Soon after the hot water faucet is opened in the bathroom, kitchen or laundry a loud humming sound comes from the tank and stops only about 15- 20 seconds after the water is turned off.
Home Improvement Expert: Edward, Handyman replied 10 years ago
Edward
Edward, Handyman

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. Kevin is not on line at this time so I will answer the question in order for you to get an answer as soon as possible. There could be several problems causing the humming. I would suggest that the tank has buildup in the bottom of the tank and this may be causing the problem. The hot water heater does require occasional service that most people do not do until a problem is noticed. The burners should be cleaned and the tank flushed to remove any buildup that may form in the tank. The pressure relief valve should be checked for proper operation by opening it up to make sure water will flow. The pressure relief valve can start to leak after testing them and will need to be replaced if that happens. Click here to see how to remove the burner on the water heater. Clean the burner with a wire brush and the bottom of the tank. The bottom of the tank will be easer to clean once the burner is removed. If you notice any water in the area you may have a leak in the tank that would require the water heater to be replaced. Click here for information on cleaning the buildup from the tank. You might want to check the link below. It is another possibility for the noise.

Defective Water-Heater Dip Tubes

If after checking these things the noise does not stop, please let me know and I will continue solving the problem.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

If you accept my answer please leave feedback

Edward
Edward
Edward, Handyman