How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jcdill Your Own Question
jcdill, Handywoman
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 875
Experience:  Over 40 years experience as a DIY handywoman and gardener
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
jcdill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How To Put Out Fire In A Fireplace?

Customer Question

How do I  put out fire in my fireplace?  It is burning  well and I am concerned because, I am going out.

Submitted: 9 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  jcdill replied 9 years ago.


You should never leave a fire burning unattended in a fireplace. Ideally, you plan ahead so that the fire has died down on its own before you leave the house or go to bed.

If you have time before you need to leave, you can help the fire die down by breaking it apart. Use the fireplace poker to separate the pieces of wood to the sides and back of the fireplace. The wood needs to be adjacent to other pieces of wood for the fire to persist. When you break the fire apart it should die down in a few minutes.

When you must leave the house immediately before the fire has died down on its own, you need to break it apart and then quench the wood with water. Sprinkle or spray water on the fire to douse it. You can use a small measuring cup to fling small amounts of water at the fire. Don't use so much water that you flood your fireplace, but you DO need to use enough water that you put out the fire. Be careful - the water will turn to steam as it hits the fire. After the fire is out, use a fireplace poker to break remaining wood pieces apart from each other or turn them over, and sprinkle more water on any glowing embers that remain, so that the fire can't re-ignite while you are gone. If you use fire-logs instead of real wood, you may need to soak the log more thoroughly to ensure that it doesn't re-ignite.

Good luck!