Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

My garbage disposal seems clogged. THe sink fills up with ...

Customer Question
My garbage disposal seems clogged...
My garbage disposal seems clogged. THe sink fills up with water and bits of chopped up veggies and then drains slowly everytime i turn it on. i just need to know how to clean it out.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/12/2007
Home Improvement Expert: Edward, Handyman replied 10 years ago
Edward
Edward, Handyman

HelloCustomer

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. Using a plumber's plunger is often the easiest way to clear the clog. You will need to block the drain on one side of the sinks if you have a double sink for the plunger to work correctly. Use a stopper or something to keep water from going down or coming up in the side opposite the garbage disposal. Fill the other side partially full of water and then use a plunger to work the clog loose. You may have to do this several times to break the clog loose. Keep the water running to let the sand clear your sewer lines. If this does not work the Drain King or other like products will for sure. Be careful using this tool the water pressure can actually separate pipes. The Drain King or other like products should be available at your local hardware store. Follow the directions on the packaging. It is advisable to never put anything that is not biodegradable food, anything combustible, metal or plastic, bones, grease. You may experience problems if you put egg shells, cigarette butts, large amounts of any vegetables, rice or pasta.

It is advisable only to put biodegradable food scraps in small amounts in the disposal.

To clean your disposal, running ice cubes in the disposal will help keep it clean. Click on the links below for more information.

Garbage disposer care

Garbage Disposers-Care

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

Edward
Edward
Edward, Handyman