Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have air in the hot water pipes. I have to turn the hot ...

Customer Question
I have air in the...
I have air in the hot water pipes. I have to turn the hot water on medium to high to avoid the pipe vibration at low volume in the hot water line. How do I get rid of the air in the line form the hot water heater
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/6/2007
Home Improvement Expert: Edward, Handyman replied 10 years ago
Edward
Edward, Handyman

Hello Customer,

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. Turning on the hot water fixture the farthest away from the hot water heater will in most cases clear any air from the hot water system.to drain all the water lines in your home, turn off water at the main cutoff. Then fully open the lowest faucet on the system to all the water in the pipes. Open a few of the highest faucets next. When the lowest faucet stops dripping, close all faucets. Turn the water back on. When you turn on the faucets for the first time there will be some vigorous spitting until the pipes are flushed of air. If water hammering becomes a problem you might want to consider installing a water hammer arrester. Click here for more information.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Please click the green ACCEPT icon if you feel I have given a complete answer, and you are satisfied with my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edward

As always when using Just Answer your accept is required for me to be paid. Please do not accept unless you are 100% satisfied with the answer.

Edward
Edward, Handyman
Reply to Edward's Post: I am still not clear on this solution as this talks more to the regular water line. In my house, this is happening in the hot water line, do I need to do anything to the water heater?
Home Improvement Expert: The Home Smithy, Home Builder replied 10 years ago
The Home Smithy, Home Builder

Hi Customer;

Ed is off line at the moment so I will answer for him if that is alright with you.

You are correct. The answer is directed to a regular water system and not a steam heating system.

Here ia a link to the information you need to get rid of the hammering noise. It is completly diffrent from standard system water hammer.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=203

If you have other concerns in this matter please reply here in this thread.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

You provide me some textbook information, but not a solution to my problem!!! The hot water lines in my house will make a vibration noise when I turn them on to low volume, in order to not hear the noise, I must turn them on to medium or high. What steps should I take to address this issue? All you provided was a textbook list of possible problems, but you are not pointing me to the correct solution that I can do? Please provie me steps I should take to correct this problem, if not, then let me know and I will hire a plumber to look at my problem.

Ok the cause of waterhammering is usually excess air in your system.

To get this air out you need to bleed the system. There should be bleed valves on your heater units. Start with the lowest one (closest to the bottom of the system) and bleed off any air. Once you get water only from that one go to the next one in height and bleed the air from it. Continue till all have been bled with the highest one last.

This should take care of the problem. If it does not then you have bigger problems, and at that point you will require the services of a plumber.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

Thanks for providing the clarity to my solution. i will try this and let you know if I am satisfied.
Ok sounds good to me. If it doesnt ill be here to help you with the next step.

The information I provided in the fist answer is applicable to both the hot and cold water lines. Water hammer most often occurs when a valve shuts off suddenly. Not when the water is turned on. Are you sure the problem is air in the lines? Often this can be caused by a defective fixture. Often noise coming from a gas water heaters is caused by the sediment build up in the bottom of the water heater. When the burners heat the bottom of the tank gas bubbles form under the sediment it will make a thumping and popping noises. Make sure your temperature-pressure (TP) relief valve is working since thermo expansion can cause the problem. Click here for more information on water heater noises. A broken or loose anode rod in the water heater can cause knocking and other noises, as can a broken fill tube. If your have less hot water that you normally have, check for a defective fill tube in the water heater.

Should you require further clarification, never hesitate to ask. It would be my pleasure to clarify my answer to your question. If after reviewing the above information, you have additional questions, I will be glad to answer them. My goal is your 100% satisfaction with all questions I answer.

Regards,

Edward

I am still having some problems, so I will accepts and call a plummer. Please stop sending me reminders.
Edward
Edward
Edward, Handyman