Home Improvement

Home improvement questions? Ask a handyman for answers

how far does the fence need to be from the sidewalk/road ...

Customer Question
how far does the fence...
how far does the fence need to be from the sidewalk/road when living in a corner house
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/22/2007
Home Improvement Expert: jcdill, Handywoman replied 10 years ago
jcdill
jcdill, Handywoman

Fence set-back rules vary widely from place to place. In some places you can place a fence right up by the road (if you don't have a sidewalk) or right up against the sidewalk. In other places it needs to be set back. In some places the front fence has height restrictions, e.g. 3 feet or 4 feet or 6 feet - in some places the front fence can't be solid (where you can't see thru it) above a certain height, and only side and back yard fences can be solid. Etc. You need to contact your local zoning office to find the applicable fence rules for your city/county/state.

jc