How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Glenn Your Own Question
Glenn, Electrician
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 2311
Experience:  former journeyman electrician /maintenance mechanic for 30 years
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Glenn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i need to hook up a tanning bed in a home, it is a 220v 15 ...

Customer Question

i need to hook up a tanning bed in a home, it is a 220v 15 amp bed, as far as my knowledge goes, household pluggins are110v.. how would i arrange my breaker box so i could use two breaker's to create enough power?if you even have any diagrams of a regular breaker box, and how i would go about wiring it, that would be awsome
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Glenn replied 10 years ago.


Most outlets are 110 volt

To do this you would need to run a new circuit

I would run a 220 volt 20 amp gfci

You will need a 2 pole gfci circuit breaker

Some 12/2 with ground romex

A female recpt. that matches the plug on the bed


Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Glenn's Post: i am not an electrician, i probably need it more in lamen terms. i kind of know what to do. its the breaker box that kinda of confuses me. i dont want to go electricuting myself... what would i need to re-wire a breaker? and what not?
Expert:  Glenn replied 10 years ago.


If your not happy working with elec. then by all means call someone

You can save some money by running the wire

You do not re wire breakers you would have to add one

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
-o- yea, i only have one spare breaker, and i need two, to my understanding. i was going to take out the one for my car plug-in. i was going to use that one and an empty one. but I am not sure on a couple of things. like, how exactly would i do that? get 2 seprate breakers into one power source for a female end of a plugin
Expert:  Glenn replied 10 years ago.


You would buy a 2 pole breaker to take the space

If you remove the one for your car then you would have enough room

Just remember that circuit may go to something else to

I would shut it off and make sure it dosen't go to something that you need

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
yea, the only problem i am having, is that the car plug-in breaker is on the top left, and the empty one is on the bottom right....
Expert:  Glenn replied 10 years ago.


When you eliminate the car breaker you will have to move one that is above or below the empty spot you have and put it in place of the one you removed

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
how do i go about doing that?
Expert:  Glenn replied 10 years ago.


First just to be safe turn the main off

Keep in mind that there is still live elec coming in above the main

Now take the breaker either above or below the one that is blank out

Take the wire going to it and put it in the breaker that does your car

Now you have a spot for a double pole breaker