How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Home Smithy Your Own Question
The Home Smithy
The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 9622
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
The Home Smithy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I encase a keepsake ornament in acrylic or plastic

This answer was rated:

I have 30-year-old Christmas ornament that broke this year. I have the pieces and will be gluing it back together. I want to take the entire ornament and put it in a block or acrylic or plastic like people do with baseballs and such. Are there home kits which allow me to do that? I live in a very small rural town and don't believe the ornament will be able to be shipped somewhere because it's so fragile. I really need to preserve it without it leaving my home to prevent any further damage. How can this be done? Thank you.


This is the stuff that you want to use. It is a medical grade acrylic. It is a bit pricey (aprox. $60.00/ qt.) But it is the best that I have found. There are other "kits" out there but none will give you the results that this will. You will also need a mold with smooth sides to do the casting in. You can buy some mold release at the hardware store. If they do not stock mold release they will be able to order you some.

Click on the link below and scroll down about 1/4 of the page and look for a pack of money encased in the acrylic. There is a shopping cart link there to do the purchase.

I hope this has answered your question. If it has then please be sure to click the accept button.

Best regards; The Home Smithy

The Home Smithy and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful. I was wondering if there was a special type of mold I needed to get. That is, you said smooth sides and talked about mold release, but should the mold itself be made of silicone or plastic or wood or something like that? Just wondering. Thanks again!
Any material that has a smooth surface will work. Plastic is good as well as formica when waxed multiple times with car wax. Waxing your mold with car wax and using a mold release agent will assure you a nice smooth and clear finished product.