Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

strong sulphur smell in old house possible causes

Customer Question
strong sulphur smell in old...
strong sulphur smell in old house but only when have heating turned up - smell in rooms remote from boiler- what are possible causes?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
11/5/2006
Home Improvement Expert: Chris (aka-Moose), Handyman replied 11 years ago
Sulfer smell also an ege smell, there similar and alike if your heating is from gas. Most likely you have a gas leak or the fumes from the exhaust are leaking into the house. either from a clogged vent or a dameged vent. If you have sulfer water and your boiler is leaking this can also cause the smell reply if needed
Reply to Chris's Post: I do not have a gas boiler - my heating system is oil and boiler regularly serviced and I repeat - the smell is not in the room where the boiler is - it is always and only ever in ground floor room/s remote from the boiler and only when turn heating up above a certain level
I am out of ideas at this point I have asked for help from another to help me our help you sorry I mis-spelled egg previously
Home Improvement Expert: Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant replied 11 years ago
Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith, Construction Consultant

Hello,(halo...) Just a thought .... does there happen to be a floor drain in the room that the oder shows up in??

Dennis (cut2it)

Reply to Dennis M. Smith's Post: thank you for your thoughts - but no there is not a floor drain in any of the rooms - that is what is so strange.

It is however a very old house- the room where it occurs is 17 century as is the room with the boiler. We did wonder for a time whether it was from an outside drain (as doors are quite drafty and the main outside door is adjacent the smelly room) however it always appear to start in one corner of the room, only when the heating is on above 15 degrees C(radiator pipes run along the back wall and near corner refered to) and this wall is an internal wall as is the other wall of the corner. There is an old fire place in the room, that cannot be used as it has no stack (it has been knocked in) but the smell does not seem to start here. Other points - one wall of the room is an outside wall today but in 17 C 3 of the walls would have been - they are very thick about 18 inches and two of them suffer from some damp. The back wall near smell was always internal as the stairs run the other side of this.
Other point perhaps of note is that there is a well in the garden - but there is no smell near the well. Also there is no main drainage in the village, all houses use individual or group sewage treatment works, septic tanks or cesspits. However cannot see that this can possibly get into room. there are no waste pipes running through the house.

Any thoughts

Hello halo, I just don't see any connection between the odor and what you describe. Perhaps you might try a different approach. Treat the entire area with a specialty product for removing odors. I'm attaching a web site I'd like you to visit.

http://www.odorxit.com/FrameMain.php?Home

I've used these products and they have accomplished everything they say about them.

Dennis

Dennis M. Smith
Dennis M. Smith