Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

I have a rotteted drip pan on my a/c unit how can i fix it

Customer Question
i have a rotteted drip...
i have a rotteted drip pan on my a/c unit how can i fix it myself
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
9/20/2006
Home Improvement Expert: Terri, Handywoman replied 11 years ago
Terri
Terri, Handywoman

A missing condensate drip tray risks leaks into the attic ceiling, where condensate can damage the building or cause a (hidden) mold problem, especially if condensate is leaking onto the upper, hidden (by insulation) attic side of drywall forming a ceiling of a room located below the equipment. Both the drywall and the insulation itself may become mold reservoirs.

When an air conditioning unit is located in an attic where damage may result from condensate overflow from the primary condensate collection and drain equipment, an additional water-tight corrosion-resistant pan (a condensate drip tray or "drip pan") should be installed below the cooling equipment to catch overflowing condensate should the primary condensate drain become clogged. An alternative design provides one pan with a standing overflow and a secondary drain.

The condensate drip tray requires its own separate drain. Alternatively, some installations provide a float switch in the tray which senses the presence of water and shuts down the air conditioning system. The discharge point of all of the condensate drain lines, that is the system condensate drain and the overflow pan drain, must be readily observable. (Ref. Uniform Mechanical Code Sec. 1205 and Sec. 510. Condensate overflow pan is suggested for attic space per UMC (Uniform Mechanical Code) Section 1205.)

Condensate tray shows evidence of leaks: since normally condensate produced in the indoor air handler is carried from the air handler interior to a condensate drain, we don't expect to see condensate falling into the condensate overflow drip tray. If we see evidence of leaks into the condensate tray, the air conditioning system service technician should investigate the cause of this condition.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/aircond/aircond17.htm

Please remember to ACCEPT Smilemy answer. thank-you, justerri

Reply to Terri's Post: i need to know how to fix the drip pan so i can stop yhe leak without replacing it
Home Improvement Expert: Rsposta4u, Handyman replied 11 years ago
Rsposta4u
Rsposta4u, Handyman

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

I have repaired such a leak but I will need to know if you can see the area where it is leaking and can get access to it?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Reply to Rsposta4u's Post: the drip pan now has a hole in the pan which is dripping waterdown into the floor below it. i would like to know how to repair the pan without replacing the unit

Can you get to the area of the leak. Are you able to clean the corrosion away from the pan?

Reply to Rsposta4u's Post: i can not get to it i dont think
That will be a problem since you would have to be able to get to the leak to fix it. I have repaired several using JB weld. I had one leaking from a rust through on my unit several years ago. The area has to be cleaned down to the bare metal for the JB weld to stick. The repair is not a permenent answer but mine is still not leaking. It is best to replace the drip pan but that can be an expensive peice to have replaced since it requires a lot of work to replace it.
Rsposta4u
Rsposta4u, Handyman
Rsposta4u
Rsposta4u
Rsposta4u, Handyman