Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

can you run uf cable in concrete

Customer Question
i was told by someone...
i was told by someone that you can't run uf cable in concrete because it will eat it. your suppose to run it pvc. its funny that uf cable is made out pvc. whats the deal?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
7/23/2006
Home Improvement Expert: #1 Expert, Handyman replied 11 years ago
#1 Expert
#1 Expert, Handyman

Building codes in your area may require it to be in conduit.

It will last longer in conduit and if you need to replace it, the conduit will make it much easer.

I can see no reason why the concrete would damage the UF cable.

Home Improvement Expert: Glenn, Electrician replied 11 years ago
Glenn
Glenn, Electrician

Hello

I agree with the other expert to a point

There are no building codes for residential uf cable

You can run it in the concrete but as the other expert pointed out if you have a problem it's etched in stone so to speak

For the cost of 1/2 inch pvc you would be much better off using it

You ask what gives ?

I think whoever told you that concrete eats pvc is wrong

I use it in concrete all the time

Even drains are in pvc and concrete

Since Just Answer's customers may live almost anywhere in the world, I included the information, that building codes in your area may require it to be in conduit.

Due to the fact, that I do not know the location of the area you will installing your uf cable, it could be relevant to check for codes to see if they apply.

Home Improvement Expert: Andy Lambert, Building Inspector replied 11 years ago
Andy Lambert
Andy Lambert, Building Inspector

It doesn't matter where you live. As a former Building Inspector I offer the following:

From the 2002 NEC.
- ARTICLE 340 Underground Feeder and Branch-Circuit Cable: Type UF
- - 340.12 Uses Not Permitted.
- - - Type UF cable shall not be used as follows:
- - - - (1) As service-entrance cable
- - - - (2) In commercial garages
- - - - (3) In theaters and similar locations
- - - - (4) In motion picture studios
- - - - (5) In storage battery rooms
- - - - (6) In hoistways, or on elevators or escalators
- - - - (7) In hazardous (classified) locations
- - - - (8) Embedded in poured cement, concrete, or aggregate, except where embedded in plaster as nonheating leads where permitted in 424.43
- - - - (9) Where exposed to direct rays of the sun, unless identified as sunlight resistant
- - - - (10) Where subject to physical damage
- - - - (11) As overhead cable, except where installed as messenger-supported wiring in accordance with Article 396

This is taken from the 2002 (the latest available) National Electrical Code. This code is used NATIONALLY not just in certain locations. A municipality cannot choose to ignore this code. If they do they are in violation of the code. It is clearly spelled out in the NEC. PVC conduit is fine.

Hope I Helped :)

Yes, I agree with Andy. It is not legal to run the cable in concrete, unless it is embedded in plaster and used as nonheating leads as permitted in 424.43, if you live in the USA.

Other world wide localities may have different regulations.

As I said above It will last longer in conduit and if you need to replace it, the conduit will make it much easer.

It would make sence to use the conduit if you location has no regulations agains it.

I can see no reason why the concrete would damage the UF cable, but doing so may violate regulations in your area.

#1 Expert
#1 Expert
#1 Expert, Handyman