How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marty Your Own Question
Marty, professional remodeler
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 122
Experience:  30 years of home remodeling
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Marty is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do you disconnect glued pvc fittings

Customer Question

Recent, unexpected (cya) arctic cold caused freezing and splitting in a pvc fitting, but not in the pipes it connects. I know I'll be taking a hack saw to it, but how do you remove the pvc fitting from the pipe it's glued to, or do you have to cut it off at the pipe? If I do so on one end, I won't have enough pipe left to work with.
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  john replied 11 years ago.
You will have to cut the pipe and replace it with more pipe using couplings and fittings.Once that stuff is glued-it stays glued.You can cut and install fittings easily though.Just sand the edge a little and use some pvc cleaner before you glue it.You can purchase a length or just a couple of foot of pipe if that is all you need.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to john's Post: The whole premise of my question was that I can't do that...I don't have anything to tie onto on one end if I do that.
Expert:  john replied 11 years ago.
WEll then you will have to replace that fitting.You can get anything you need at the local hardware store.Does that end go to the tank?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
What it is is a vertical pipe down into an ell connected flush to another ell which is then almost flush to a tank. The split runs across both ells. I have no problem tying onto the vertical pipe, but I'm trying to find out if there is any way to keep from having to replace the tank by removing the pvc that's glued into it.
Expert:  john replied 11 years ago.
The tank will have a threaded fitting to attach the pipe to.It should screw right out of the tank.
Expert:  Marty replied 11 years ago.
A company named "Plumb-Best" makes a tool for removing the PVC
pipe that remains in a fitting after you cut it. It looks simalar to a
mixing paddle except the paddle has been repaced with a guide and
cutter. Insert the tool into a drill and then into the fitting the
guide will keep the cutter centered. A lower speed works better and
keep the tool as straight as possible. These are available in standard
sizes (1/2", 3/4",1- 1/2", 2" etc.) and cost $10 - 25$ and are
available at Home Depot and hardware stores.

If this answered your questions please hit the "ACCEPT" button to
reward my efforts, if it did not, let me know how I can assist you


Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Marty's Post: Thank you. I just read your suggestion, which is the first positive answer I've received. I'll hit accept as soon as I've had a chance to check this out. As I understand what you are saying, this is just a drill attachment that will cut the glued pipe out without harming the fitting...when properly employed. Later.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to john's Post: Should have, perhaps, but as I said earlier, it is glued into the tank.
Expert:  Marty replied 11 years ago.
Yes, You understand it perfectly!!!

A drill with a 3/8 (or larger) chuck is all you need....a regular household type drill will work fine.

When re-gluing the joint, put glue on BOTH surfaces (pipe & joint)
to ensure good adhesion. It's a great tool and worth the investment.

Good luck and thanks for getting back to me!!


Related Home Improvement Questions