Home Improvement

Home Improvement Questions? Ask a Handyman for Answers

Home Improvement

how do I get spray paint off of concrete

Customer Question
need to get address sprayed...
need to get address sprayed in spray paint ogg og the parking lot
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Home Improvement
8/12/2005
Home Improvement Expert: Andy Lambert, Building Inspector replied 12 years ago
Andy Lambert
Andy Lambert, Building Inspector

You can use sand paper to lightly sand off the spray paint or use graffti remover. You can try power washing it too with soap and a little bit of "elbow" grease.

Hope I Helped :)

Home Improvement Expert: Marty, professional remodeler replied 12 years ago
Marty
Marty, professional remodeler

Buy a concrete brick( ~ 2 x 3 x 6") available at local home
stores or brick yards. Make sure it is a concrete brick (not a red clay
type) Use this a s asnding block. Being the sme hardness as the
concrete driveway, it will take the paint off without harming the
surface. A concrete grinding stone could be used as well, but it's more
expensive

I hope this answered your questions. If it did, kindly click the
"accept" button to reward my efforts. If it did not, let me know how I
can assist you further.

Sincerely,.....Martye

Home Improvement Expert: Jack Scotty, Handyman replied 12 years ago
Jack Scotty
Jack Scotty, Handyman
A sandblaster has always been an excellent paint remover. If the paint is less than a few days old, it probably has not had enough time to completely cure. Being that you said this is on a parking lot, and if its on asphalt, the easier thing to do would be to paint over it with asphalt blacktopping compound. You can get it in a quart or a one gallon can which will be sufficient enough to cover it.
I do not have a sandblaster. I need something to match the grayish white color of the asphalt. Does this topping come in only blace? Or maybe you have another idea. If not where would I but this compound?

If you merely want to cover the paint over, you can buy "vinyl concrete
patch". Most home / hardware stores this. Just add water and spread
with a brush or trowel over the painted area... Not as good as removing
the old paint, but easier and should wear for a few years.

can assist you further.

Sincerely,.....Martye

featured content

How to get spray paint off concrete

Whether it’s a floor or a driveway, there are times when you need to know how to get spray paint off concrete.

There are many methods for removing spray paint from concrete, ranging from simple soap, water and elbow grease to heavy-duty equipment. Always start with the gentlest method first, before working your way up to more drastic methods if necessary.

How to get spray paint off concrete: Cleaners/strippers

If the paint is still wet, ordinary dishwashing soap and water might get it off your concrete surface. However, because spray paint dries quickly, here are some stronger options to try, from least powerful to strongest, including some that require safety equipment:

• Products made to remove spray paint including Goof Off Graffiti Remover, Motsenbockers Lift Off #4 Spray Paint Graffiti Remover, Wipe Out Porous Graffiti Remover, or Sprayon Paint Remover

• Non-remover products that also work on spray paint including Kaboom Foam-Tastic, The Works Toilet Bowl Cleaner, Sakrete Concrete/Mortar Dissolver, oven cleaner, or acetone (available at hardware stores and where nail polish is sold).

• Soy-based gel strippers such as SoyGel Paint and Urethane Remover or Franmar BLUE BEAR Soy Gel Paint & Urethane Stripper

• Chemical strippers such as ZAR 40011 Paint and Varnish Remover, VHT SP575 Strip Fast Aggressive Paint Remover, and Peel Away® 2 Heavy Duty Industrial Chemical Paint Stripper

• Chemicals such as methylene chloride, methyl-ethyl-ketone (MEK), sodium hydroxide, xylene, and muriatic (hydrochloric) acid.

• All-purpose chemical cleaners such as tri-sodium phosphate or caustic soda mixed with hot water 

Follow any instructions for mixing. Spray on the cleaner or stripper, let it sit for a few minutes and scrub with a stiff bristle brush, then hose down the area. When using anything stronger than soy-based gel strippers, make sure the area has good ventilation and wear rubber gloves, eye protection and a mask so you don’t breathe in any dry powder.

How to get spray paint off concrete: Tools 

You can also buy or rent several different tools that can be used to remove paint from concrete. These are best applied in outdoor settings such as sidewalks or driveways. Again, these are listed from least powerful to most powerful.

• High pressure water sprayer or pressure washer, with a power level of at least 4,000 PSI, and using a fanning technique to avoid cutting into the concrete

• Orbital sander for small areas

• Floor buffer for larger areas

• Grinder with a brick- or diamond-coated wheel

• Sandblaster to blast the surface with sand or a similar abrasive

When using grinders and sandblasters, use a vacuum attachment, dust mask and safety goggles, because these tools raise massive amounts of dust.

Marty
Marty
Marty, professional remodeler