HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

I opened a new line

Customer Question
Hi doctor I opened a...
Hi doctor I opened a new line
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
5/25/2018
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 2 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Hi doctor, this thing did't go away, is not as bad as before but still feel presure on my ear and a sligth hurt when I swallow, Im freaking out, really I am, I have never have a sore throat that last this long, but Im willing to keep an open mind because literally everywhere I have read says "RECIVING ORAL SEX IS NOT A RISK"and I have read it in at least 25 diferent sites, not to mention that I havent slept in 4 days reading the poz forum, only the posts that have my same exposure "vaginal protected and blow job unproteccted" but that also posted their results, and I have found so far more than 100 posts the same as me and their results were negative !!!! IM really afraid to test, doctor why is it that during the time that I was taking amoxicillin I felt fine but as soon as I left it it came back ? If its viral the amoxicillin wound do nothing, but what kind of test can I take to find out wich virus is it ?? Im going on monday to test for all ets Im not sure what good will that do, since I never use my mouth for anything sexual, holy shit Im really freaking out, have you heard before of a patient or patients, with consited sore throat and eventually got rid of it ? And doctor one very important question, I know that people with hiv can experience symptoms or any at all, but in your expertise advise, if I would be experincing ARS symptoms would this sore throat be the only one ???? And also I have read that when ars symptoms show usually lasts two weeks and then they go away, I have been with almost two months with theese, How long can a person with hiv live now a days ? Im 40 years old

First, these symptoms are NOT due to HIV, in my 18-year career of being associated with medicine, I have NEVER seen or heard of a patient who contracted HIV via oral sexual intercourse at all. Secondly, if this sore throat was due to ARS then a sore throat is NOT the only symptom, you would have a generalized rash over the chest and abdomen, enlarged lymph nodes, fever, fatigue, muscle aches, joint pains among others. Additionally, ARS symptoms don't last this long at all. Third, if you get tested I am a 1000% sure that it will be negative, I would advise that you do get tested so that once you get a negative result you will be able to put this behind you.

Regarding the persistence of a sore throat, it can certainly be a virus and there are so many viral infections which can cause this that it is not possible to test for all of them. There are literally hundreds of viruses which can cause this. Also, the amoxicillin could be treating a low-grade bacterial infection which caused you to feel better, it is advisable to get a throat swab to rule out any bacterial infections completely.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Ok doctor, I will get a throath swab, but if no bacteria show up ? Then its defeently viral and if its viral and its not hiv how the hell do I get rid of it ? And also you did'nt answer if you heard of patients with persistent sore throath before ?
HIV infection. A sore throat and other flu-like symptoms sometimes appear early after someone is infected with HIV. Also, someone who is HIV-positive might have a chronic or recurring sore throat due to a secondary infection, such as a fungal infection called oral thrush and cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection, a common viral infection that can be serious in people with compromised immune systems.
When I type dow on the internet "what could be the cause of a long term sore throath" this among a lot other tings showed up, but its also a posibility. Althou I dont have any others "flu like symptoms" just the sore throath
I dont have oral thrush defently
the other virus "cytomegalovirus" I read is some sore of herpex virus
Practice safe sex. Wear a condom during sexual contact to prevent spreading the CMV virus through semen and vaginal fluids.
I did wear a condom and also i never gave her oral sex I only recived
CMV is related to the viruses that cause chickenpox, herpes simplex and mononucleosis. CMV may cycle through periods when it lies dormant and then reactivates. If you're healthy, CMV mainly stays dormant.During activation you can pass the virus to other people. Casual contact doesn't transmit CMV. The virus is spread through body fluids — including blood, urine, saliva, breast milk, tears, semen and vaginal fluids.
Symptoms
Most people infected with CMV who are otherwise healthy experience few if any signs and symptoms. People at greater risk of signs and symptoms of CMV include:Newborns infected with CMV before birth (congenital CMV).
Infants who become infected during birth or shortly afterward (perinatal CMV). This group includes babies infected through breast milk.
People with weakened immune systems, for example due to organ transplant or HIV infection.
Otherwise healthy adults
Most people infected with CMV who are otherwise healthy experience few if any signs or symptoms. When first infected, some adults may have symptoms similar to infectious mononucleosis, including:Fatigue
Fever
Sore throat
Muscle aches
Its not necesarly due ONLY to hiv I get that but the fact that it even appears listed has me very worry,So doctor what should I do ?
Doctor if someone has cytomegalovirus does that mean that they necesarly have hiv ? Or one thing can be with out the other, it says here that as much as 50 to 80% of adults may contract this virus
Also doctor what if my infection is from the ear ? Why do I feel presure on my ear ?

I have heard of patients and seen patients with a persistent sore throat before, they usually have underlying acid reflux, sinus issues etc. Most patients have silent acid reflux meaning that the only symptom is a sore throat and no heartburn. If it is viral in most patients it does settle down on its own but I would suggest getting treated for silent acid reflux, with simple OTC Prilosec at a dose of 10 mg twice daily.

The chronic recurring sore throat due to CMV or fungi occurs once a person has developed HIV and has gotten damage to the immune system. This occurs in patients who have DOCUMENTED HIV and it usually occurs a couple of years after developing HIV, you don't have HIV. Your anxiety is also playing a role here, anxiety would worsen your symptoms tenfold, it can worsen acid reflux among other conditions.

This may be CMV but it is less likely to be due to CMV, I think if you start with Prilosec the symptoms should improve.

Do you have any more questions?

Doctor do you believe that since I feel a lot better from my sore throath, but its not quite gone, its from bacterial source but maybe the antibiotic wasn't strong enough to kill it ?

It is possible that this is the case here, however that can only be determined on a throat swab culture.

Do you have any more questions?