HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

If hiv was received from a incest abuse would that progress…

Customer Question
If hiv was received from...
If hiv was received from a incest sexual abuse would that progress to AIDS quicker
Submitted: 30 days ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
5/24/2018
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Specialist replied 30 days ago
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Specialist

Welcome and thank you for your question.

No, infection by an incestuous sexual act would not cause the disease to progress to AIDS quicker.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need more information.
If not, please click on a positive rating (5 stars) to leave feedback.
Thank you.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I believe that this isn’t true. I feel like having close to the same genes dna and blood makes a difference
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I’m not ok
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr. S, Board Certified in Family Medicine replied 27 days ago
Dr. S
Dr. S, Board Certified in Family Medicine

Hello, I am Dr. S and am looking forward to working with you towards an answer to your question.

The question you have asked is very complex and there is not a simple 'yes or no' response that I can give.

You make a good point in your question about genetics and blood. The transmission from incestual sexual abuse however has not been studied to a large degree.

One area that has been studied more extensively however is transmission from mother to infant during delivery, so the two would share some DNA and genetics. The studies do have some drawbacks. For some time and in some regions, an HIV positive child was not always differentiated as to if it was acquired by being passed on during delivery or if it was acquired behaviorally (drug use, sexual contact, etc.)

In the cases of mother to infant transmission, with newer medications, monitoring, research, we are seeing an increased number of these infants make it to adulthood with an increased to near normal life expectancy.

There are a lot of variables in treatment and each case, so it is hard to say the exact cause for people that do better or people that do worse.

The exact viral strain plays a role. There is some research into peoples genetics for treatment, certain receptor types on a patients blood cells and on the HIV virus can impact response to treatment. With modern treatments, being able to control HIV and keep in from progressing to AIDs has greatly improved.

Some other factors that have played a role is identifying people with HIV. Testing has become more sensitive and becoming more wide spread, so we are able to identify people with HIV and start treatment sooner, which can again prevent progression to AIDs. There is still a large stigma to HIV, so some people do not test or do not want to be tested for it. This delay can worsen their overall prognosis.

Compliance with complex regiments is also difficult for adults, so trying to do them for a child can be even more challenging. This has also been more difficult in dosing for pediatric patients and effects of the drugs on growing bodies that sometimes limit the available drugs. Access to treatment has also been difficult in many regions. All three of these have been improving with increased research, simplified medication regimens (single pill therapy) and increased access to medication.

The people that tended to have worse outcomes tended to be people who were less complaint with the medication regimens or people who had difficulty accessing the medical care and medications.

Regardless of how the HIV was transmitted, people who have been exposed to multiple treatments or have had multiple interruptions in their treatment (missed doses, on/off meds, etc) are at an increased risk of medication resistance, which would increase the risk of the HIV progressing. If the person who transmits the HIV strain has been noncompliant with treatment, they would have an increased risk of having a treatment resistant strain.

Someone who was infected with HIV from incestual sexual abuse, is more likely to delay seeking care or maintaining care, partially due to the psychological impact and concern for the social stigma that may be associated with seeking treatment. If the perpetrator is a parent or guardian, they may also refuse to take the victim for treatment. This delay in treatment would also have a negative impact.

So, to say that sharing genetics would be the only thing that would increase the risk of HIV progressing to AIDs would be to simple to say. The above variables, delay in treatment, HIV strains, resistance patters, inconsistent treatment, would play a larger role in how quickly or slowly HIV progresses.

If you have any additional questions, please send a message back to me.

if you or someone you know is a victim of incest, rape or abuse, please seek help. RAINN (Rape, Abuse, Incest National Network is an excellent resource).

They can be found at www.RAINN.org. They do have multiple resources that can be found on that website, and have a specific section for incest.

They also have a sexual assult hotline: 800-656-HOPE.

If it is a child,(###) ###-####

If you feel this has been helpful, please leave a positive 5 star rating so that I can continue to answer questions for others. This will not close the question thread, so you may continue to respond with any followup questions. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I feel like I’ve developed aids already in a short few months

If you have that concern and you have not all ready done so, you would need to see a doctor and have bloodwork done.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Hairs falling out bald patch miss on the back of my head extreme fatigue body isn’t healing my cuts localized night sweats dizziness
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Stomach is always making a noise my stool has never been the same.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I’m ready to end my life
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Smallest scratch on my body leaves a scar

I understand how all of this must make you feel bad. However, they do have treatment for HIV and with advances in medicine, the medications are much better tolerated and people can live full, long lives.

The symptoms you are experiencing can also be from other things besides HIV and again would be good to get a full evaluation in person with a Doctor to evaluate for other causes, like thyroid issues, other infections, diabetes.

Here is the number to the suicide hotline 1-***-***-**** as you mentioned you are ready to end your life. There is a lot of alternative options out there currently and urge you to please seek evaluation with a doctor as they can help and help you feel better!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It’s nothing else besides hiv that is causing I’m pretty sure I infected someone’s else from them giving me Brief oral they have been having the same problems as me were there body isn’t healing and being tired all the time. You might think I’m crazy but even kids that having been coming to the house have been having different behavior problems and being ill with a cough hives I really think this mutated at its air Bourne n I really hope you don’t think I’m crazy
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I’m going to Die treatment will not help. N I’m pretty sure I even reinfected that person even tho we I used condoms for sex but my mouth has been messed up from chewing tobacco because it won’t heal this is all a big giant nightmare
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
This isn’t normal
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I just don’t understand why it’s this bad
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
This mutated and changed it’s not normal hiv
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Is this possible
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I don’t know why you won’t answer
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Gonna request my money back then