HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

Is it okay to have sex with someone not knowing that I am…

Customer Question
Is it okay to...

Is it okay to have sex with someone not knowing that I am hiv-positive with a condom

Doctor's Assistant: What are your symptoms? Have you used any medication for this?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen an OB/GYN about this?

Yes

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
3/23/2018
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr. A, Board Certified MD replied 3 months ago
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

It's important to disclose your HIV status to your sex partner(s) and anyone you shared needles with, even if you are not comfortable doing it. Communicating with each other about your HIV status means you can take steps to keep both of you healthy. In 24 states, laws require persons who are aware that they have HIV to disclose their status to sexual partners and 14 states require disclosure to needle-sharing partners. Hope that helps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating. We can continue to speak even after you rate if you would like. Thanks!

I just wanted to know if it's okay to date without letting them know that I am HIV

It would be OK to date, but once/if the relationship became sexual, it would be important to disclose your HIV status.

Please do not forget to rate my service by clicking on the stars at the top of the page. Thanks!