HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

I have itching around my vulva I noticed this started a bit…

Customer Question
Hi I have itching around...
Hi I have itching around my vulva I noticed this started a bit after I used Kye lubricant around my vagina and around the vulva , I forgot to wash it off I went to sleep with it on then days later it started to itch but not severe but noticeably and mildly feel like of tingly for an itch . No pimples no rashes no sores near my vagina I keep moderating it , I thought It was a yeast infection so I bought monostrat 7 today and applied inside the vagina and cream for itch around the vulva and clitioris it’s burning a bit .. maybe it’s working ? I know when I had a severe yeast infection with swollen Libia or the left side and red puffy plump ness I used monostrat 7 it burned a lot more but it went away within 7days . That was about 2 years ago . I am sexually active my partner just got tested and is clean. I haven’t been tested before does this sound like a situation where I’d need to be tested ? Please let me know I’ve been stressing out like crazy I HOPE it’s not an std . That’s last time I visited my local clinic she checked me for gonnohera and clymidia she said I was negative for both I didn’t bother with hiV or aids testing . ��‍♀️
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
3/10/2018
HIV and AIDS Expert: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago
Connie Pennington

Good morning. I am a GI surgeon and would like to assist you.

Some people have a reactive dermatitis to K Y jelly. I would guess this is what has happened to you by letting it dry on delicate skin. I would switch to a vaginal lubricant that is specific for intercourse. Unless you are having a discharge, you may not have a yeast infection. If you have one partner who has been tested, I would not think you need to be tested again, but if you continue to have symptoms and have had multiple partners it is always a good idea to visit a physician and be tested for STD's. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Thank you ! How would I know in this case if it was an std ? I’ve tried the yogurt on the vulva and the mild itch /tingly sensation to itch would go away , now I’m using monostrat 7 and it burns a lot lol !!! If it doesn’t stop after 7days then what else could it be bacterial vaginitis ? Also I do have slight discomfort during sex we don’t use lube but I did try and use the lkye last time . Please let me know any other methods ?
Is there any specifics that most HIV/AIDS patience feel that tell them they’re infected with her disease rather than , and itch near the Vagina ? No fatigue , no fever , a bit of a sore no swollen lymph nodes ... then again some people are asymptomatic.. ☹️
Not to mention I’m also on the depo birth control 3 month shot , and I have had a bit of skin discoloration but I used eczema cream and they tended to lighten up . And I use cocoa butter . Inside my mouth there are little lumps ,in the back of my throat ,and on the inside skin of my right and left cheek , followed my a little dot as if I pricked myself with a needle ... red looks like strep throat , can an std cause strep throat ?
HIV and AIDS Expert: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

The only way to know for sure it is not an STD is to be tested. Usually there is a whitish discharge with yeast infections. A foul smelling discharge might accompany a bacterial vaginal infection. HIV infections are largely asymptomatic and a blood test is done to diagnose HIV infection. The biggest risk is having unprotected intercourse with a person that is infected with HIV. Also simple things like sharing the same toothbrush can transmit blood from bleeding gums to your gums if there was an opening, say after flossing. I would finish the course of monostat 7 and then re-evaluate your symptoms and if they persist, see your OB/GYN or health department for testing.

No a STD would not cause strep throat. Strep throat is usually accompanied by a quite sore throat, and any walk in clinic can provide a rapid-strip test.

Okay so may it’s just the birth control throwing of my hormone oh balance in that case as well as the new lube I’m used for the first time and hadn’t washed off ? In that case I’m think it’s still good for me to get an std test but I’m really nervous !
with monostrat 7 how will I know the yeast infection healed after 7days? When the burning goes away ?
HIV and AIDS Expert: Connie Pennington,
 replied 4 months ago

If you have sensitive skin and the KY caused a little reaction, then the monostat may be causing the burning--although it should be mild. If after therapy your symptoms subside, then you are in the clear. If a discharge or pain/burning persists, then I would seek help/be tested. A simple office test can determine yeast or bacteria and rule out STD's. Also abstaining from sex until you feel well is important.