HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

I was doing some lab work today and wearing the nitrile

Hello I was doing some lab...
Hello
I was doing some lab work today and wearing the nitrile gloves when a colleague gave me their keys for a lab and the chain has one of those swiss knifes, nail clipper,... in it! After finishing with the keys, I removed the gloves to find like a knife cut in my finger. I suspect that I cut my finger while using the keys. It was not actively bleeding when I saw the cut, it was like two hous after the incident. It was like that slice cut very close to the flesh! I did not check the gloves for cut as I changed few gloves before I saw the cut. I cannot remeber using any sharp thing after that incident, that is why I suspect that the cut was because of it. I also know that these gloves are not tear proof.I washed my hand and used rubbing alcohol, it was stinging a bit, not sure if that means it reached the flesh and made an open wound. I am worried about any infection especially HIV and Hep C. I am vaccinated for Hep b and tetanus.Please advise if any risk from that incident if the person I used his keys is having any of these blood borne diseases.
3/9/2018
Medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to Justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

From this exposure there is no risk of HIV or hep B,C.

You don't need to worry at all.

The risk is only when you get pricked by a needle that is contaminated by blood of a person having HIV or hepatitis.

Keys or key chains are not contaminated.There is absolutely no risk and there is nothing to worry about.

I hope this answers your question.

Let me know if you have any queries.

And do leave a positive 5 star rating by simply clicking on the stars on top left or bottom corner of this thread.

Thank you.

Thank you very very much. That is a relief! But may I ask about that Knife in the key chain! The person has like one of these nail clippers, file, and swiss knife which is probably used for personal use like clipping nails, etc...
I am worried because of the knife attached to the key chain not of the key chain. I was wearing nitrile gloves so the keys won’t probably cut my hand, it is the knife! If for any reason the person had blood on the knife, and it cut me, would there be any risk?

No not at all.

Suppose even if there was some microscopic amount of blood,the viruses don't survive for that long.

There is no risk with this exposure and you don't even require any testing.

You're welcome :)

Testing is only done when a person is pricked with a needle used to draw blood.

Cuts due to a knife doesn't cause transmission of HIV or hepatitis.

Let me know if you have any queries.

Please do take moment to click on the stars on top left of this thread to rate this positively.

Thank you

Thanks again very much for your prompt and elaborate response.
The cut does not seem like a prick to me! It is more of a slicing due to a sharp object like a knife or a cutter in that chain. I did not pay very much attention except when I saw the cut later after I finished my lab and washed my hands.
So what you explained ( no risk) is also true if that knife is for personal use like nail clippers, where possible blood can be there, due to cutting nails or filling teh cuticles.
And you mentioned something about time, how long is the time frame if there is blood on the knife/clipper that no transmission of virus happens?
One last question is actually related to the gloves themselves, I did not see a cut in the gloves but would nitrile gloves get cut without ripping?!
I honestly became so freaked out since having a cut while wearing the gloves is scary to me even for future use! I use the microflex nitrile powder free gloves!
I truly appreciate your patience with me as I am so scared of these blood borne diseases!

This is true even if there is a cut.

The possibility of blood being on nail clipper is very low.

There is no exact time frame but cuts with these doesn't transmit the viruses.If that knife is for personal use like for cutting nails etc still the risk is almost none to negligible.

If this is bothering you then you can a have screening just to put your mind at ease.

Thanks again!
Any pep is adminstered or needed in such situation? And if I would test, how long would I wait?

No Pep is not given and not advised in such situation.

You don't even need any tests.

But you can have 4th gen test after 4 weeks to put your mind at ease.

You're welcome.

Medicaldoctor
Thank you Dr. For checking and follow up!
I have a small concern about needle prick! If I got pricked by a pin ( like that sawing one), would that be a risk? A lady by acccident pricked me with one while helping me trying a jacket at a store!

No this type of needle prick cannot transmit HIV.