HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

I just read on the UK NHS website that if you have HIV and…

Customer Question
Hello. I just read on...
Hello. I just read on the UK NHS website that if you have HIV and invasive thrush you need to go to the ICU right away. Mine started with a throat that looked like bad strep, but no. Bad swollen lymphatic areas and intense headaches. It's been almost a month now, treated with nystatin at an urgent care facility. I seem to be getting better. My viral load is undetectable and tcells are 582. Next hiv Dr appointment is on 1/11, Can't this wait a few days? The emergency room seems drastic and ICU? Why would the UK NHS say that? But I don't want to get worse. Thoughts?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
1/8/2018
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 6 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi Charles, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions including hiv & hiv related infections such as thrush, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you have questions related to what you saw UK NHS website related to the invasive thrush. I am very familiar with this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

Please see, this is not applicable in your case and there is no need for you to go to hospital now, rather seeing your doctors as scheduled on 1/11 should be perfectly fine

What the NHS web site has mentioned is about the invasive type of thrush (or invasive candidiasis) but you are not having invasive thrush based on the description you have provided above.

Invasive thrush occurs when the fungus or yeast candida reaches the blood stream and starts reaching multiple other organs and tissues in the body, and this is considered an emergency and prompt medical attention is necessary in this situation

But your symptoms do not indicate you are or you were having invasive thrush at any point in time so this is not applicable to you. What you were having was the usual type of thrush it is called as superficial candidiasis or superficial type of thrush and this is not the same as invasive thrush - and for superficial or the usual type of thrush there is absolutely no need to get admitted to a hospital or icu etc, rather the treatment is with antifungal agents such as nystatin etc - which you have already received

And also you are now improving and this also indicates you are not a case of invasive type of thrush.

I see your symptoms have been getting better, and the viral load has been undetectable, and you are having good t cell count (CD4) too - so all these indicate you are medically very stable now and seeing your hiv dr as scheduled on 1/11 is certainly enough in your case.

Once again I can very confidently reassure you, there is absolutely no need to visit any hospital/icu etc now since there is or was never a suspicion for invasive thrush in your case, what you had was superficial or the usual type of thrush and for that hospitalization is not necessary and also you have already received the appropriate treatments and also your symptoms have been improving and your viral load has been undetectable and cd4 t cell count is also good so there is certainly no need to visit the hospital now and you can wait until your next clinic appointment that is on 1/11, certainly everything is stable now and there are no medical emergencies now, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too!

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Too late.

Hi, we are very sorry, but please see the experts may be helping other customers too, and any delay that happens is certainly not deliberate. Our aim is to provide the fastest service to our customers but this being a 24 hours online service different experts may log in to the site at different times of the day, and also certain times of the day are busier than other times; and in addition to these three reasons mentioned above there can be multiple other technical reasons for the delay but please see the delay is never deliberate. But we fully apologize for the delay.

We understand this time our service was not helpful to you, if you have any future questions please follow up again and we will be very glad to assist you again, and also we earnestly hope next time we can attend to your needs very fast.

Assuring you the best services!

Wishing you the best health!

All the very best!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD