HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

I went to the hospital for a HIV test and tested negative…

Customer Question
I went to the hospital...
I went to the hospital for a HIV test and tested negative not sure what type of blood test it was but it was negative, it has been 8 weeks post exposure, what is the chance I am negative?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
12/10/2017
HIV and AIDS Expert: Richard Han, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me, what type of exposure did you have 8 weeks ago? Are you male or female? And did you test positive or negative for any other sexually transmitted disease since the exposure 8 weeks ago? (these answers relate to your pre-test probability and risk profile for HIV and will better help me answer your question to the best of my ability) Thank you in advance for your replies.
Female and it was oral sex. I don't know if he was HIV positive.
I gave him oral.
I have hepatitis c already
I am mainly concerned about hiv
Thank you for that information. In that case, I would say your negative HIV blood test at 6 weeks is likely very accurate, in the neighborhood of 95-99% accurate. At 6 weeks the hospital most likely did a 4th generation HIV test which checks for antibodies to HIV as well as an HIV protein itself called p24. Oral receptive sex from you to a male, even if ejaculated in your mouth and if you swallowed the semen would be digested in stomach acid which, in the event if he was HIV positive, would make it very unlikely for any HIV. Kris to survive and cause infection. Overall I believe you can rest assured if you tested at 6 weeks, you are negative indeed. Any over questions?
If you have no further questions, please click the button to accept the answer to conclude our interaction. I would also appreciate the kindness of a 5 star positive review. Thank you.
Richard Han
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD