HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

I have a question again regarding HSV 1. I had sex 6 weeks…

Customer Question
Hi doctor. I have a...
Hi doctor. I have a question again regarding HSV 1. I had sex 6 weeks ago with a woman who seemed to have something on her lip, when I asked her she said that she tested negative for HSV-1. Today I noticed something on my lip and wanted to get your opinion if this could be HSV 1. I have tested negative for all STDs until last month
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
12/5/2017
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 7 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

From the pics it does have a blister-y appearance that can be characteristic of HSV-1. That being said, HSV-1 is very common (because it's so easily transmitted by kissing, even among family members).

The best way to test someone for herpes (HSV 1 or 2) is to swab an "active outbreak" for the presence of the HSV 1 or 2 virus. There is bloodwork available that can be done, but the bloodwork only tests for what's called "antibodies" to HSV-1 or 2, which is a type of cell that your body makes when it is exposed to the HSV, in order to fight it off. Being positive for HSV antibodies does not necessarily mean you have ever had (or will ever have) a herpes infection (ie an active outbreak), and testing negative for the antibodies doesn't necessarily mean you've never had an outbreak. I'm unsure as to exactly what type of testing your partner had, but it is possible that whatever test she had was negative. If you've ever had a cold sore before (and many of us have), that is typically caused by HSV-1 and can be transmitted through contact.

Typically we give a prescription antiviral medication called acyclovir to treat this. You can also use an over the counter cream called Abreva to a few times a day to help with the discomfort and help it heal faster.

Thank you I did do a swab test yesterday and I am waiting for the results. Could I reach back to you with the results? I have also done a blood test as well

Sure.