HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

Trouble swallowing, burning chest and throat. Two months ago…

Customer Question
Trouble swallowing, burning chest and...
Trouble swallowing, burning chest and throat.Two months ago i began to feel as if food comes back from my throat. I changed my habits and went away. However it came back this week again.I have genital herpes and i have read that this virus can cause trouble swallowing.Is there any difference in the symptoms of GERD and reflux caused by herpes? I dont experience severe pain or anything, but just a little burning sensation. Please let me know how i could tell weather these symptoms are caused by GERD or herpes. (I also feel generally well)
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
12/2/2017
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of clinical experience and I will do my best to help you today.

These symptoms are due to GERD; not due to genital herpes, and pleas remember that herpes does not cause GERD. Very rarely, if the herpes infection is disseminated and spreads in the body (this doesn't happen in otherwise healthy individuals) can cause inflammation of the food pipe (esophagus), but not GERD.

GERD is the reflux of stomach acid and hence food, back up towards esophagus and throat.

You can try Prilosec (omeprazole 20mg) available OTC.

Avoid lying flat immediately after meals.

Avoid smoking/alcohol (if you use) as they make reflux worse.

Avoid tight fitting belts around abdomen.

Less spices and fats in meals.

Well, im wondering if this could be an hiv sign.
How would i feel if i had esophagus herpes?

Hopefully this will improve a lot with these measures, and if doesn't, then it will be an indication to see your doctor for further evaluation.

In esophagitis, you will have terrible pain while you eat or drink anything as it passes down the esophagus.

I have no reason to consider that this is HIV.

HIV and AIDS are different.

When a person has AIDS, he gets lot of infections and problems, not only esophagitis.

I think you are anxious, and believe me this makes your reflux worse.

Ok. So no pain means no herpes esophagitis.
Also my throat looks red, could this be a GERD sign ?
I can only describe this as burning sensation and trouble swallowing.

Yes this is GERD. Not herpes esophagitis.

My last possible hiv exposure happened 8 years and a half years ago. I was just wondering if i could be showing signs by now if i had it.
Would have i shown signs before now?

This is not an HIV sign. Stay relaxed.

was it helpful?

By when would i show hiv signs if i got it 8 years ago? Im 5' 7" tall and i weight 121,7 lb. is this normal weight?

Who says this is HIV?

It takes 10 to 20 years for HIV to give you symptoms of immune deficiency
(AIDS).

Your weight is fine.

But would there be any slight sign by the 8th year in an hiv positive person?

Can happen. But usually there will be other common signs first like recurrent bacterial infections, significant weight loss, pneumonia, diarrhea etc.

In the absence of any other symptoms, it would be unwise to attribute this to HIV in your case.

if i dont have signs by the 8year, could we say im most likely hiv negative?

Yes, most likely.

Try the suggestions I have given you, and then most likely this will settle down very soon.

Do you have any other queries?

Good luck

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to give 5 Star Rating to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor