HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

This is going to be a lot of information to consume. It may…

Customer Question
Hello, This is going to...
Hello, This is going to be a lot of information to consume. It may come off as paranoid or OCD, but for me this is a real thought in my head and has been giving me anxiety for 3 years. 3 years ago I was in college and thought maybe I had an HIV risk. It turns out I never had any risk but I went toplanned parenthood to get a HIV lancet test to just ease my fears. I tested negative there, however, the person who tested me was completely unprofessional and the testing center was dirty. She told me for the first time she had two gay men test positive the week before. When I left there at first I was relieved but then I became overwhelmed what if she reused a lancet or there was still HIV lingering around. I had these thoughts for two months and only got sick with one sinus infection during that time period. At 2 months I tested myself with an oraquick oral swab test I ordered through walgreens that came in the mail. That test was negative as well. I read that you should take the test agan 3 months later. I took another oraquick oral swab test that came through the mail, this time the box came really beat up but the content inside was sealed. I took the test, it was negative I believe I didn't wait the full time for this test to read. However, 2 weeks later I came down with a flu-like virus, I went to an urgent care and they tested me for the flu but it was negative, but still gave me tamiflu. I was better within 2-3 days. I had no rash. I then became fearful what if someone tampered with the box. Another time I actually bought another oraquick oral swab test and the fluid spilled out, does that pose a risk? What I am getting at is I never had a real risk to HIV but once I got tested this is where I think my risk was. The healthcare system is not flawless and human error does happen. Based on these cases do you think I have anything to worry about? Over the 3 years I've been suffering with a lot of sinus infections, that's the extent of my sickness. I am also tired a lot but I feel if that;s from always worrying. Other than what has happened to me here I am 24 and have always been healthy. I recently went to the gyno and tested for every std but hiv because I can't bring myself to test again, I was negative for everything. I have gone to other online forums and they all tell me there is nothing to worry about and no reason to test again but I always end up in the same position back online. I try to push these fears aside but then things happen that spark them. I currenytly have a boyfriend and we've had sex 2-3 times. After the first time we had sex a week later he told me his penis burned after he ejaculated and peed, he said this has never happened to him before. However, it's 3 months later and he said he still has this burning when he pees in his pee hole. It doesn't happen when he masterbates and he said the burning happens often though. I can't help to think what if I gave him something it can't be any other STD bc I just tested negative. This is really giving me fears that this is happening to him I can't even be myself. I️ also recently have been having bad pelvic pain. The pain started in my groin and then I️ felt I️t in my leg my lower back. My Gyno midisagonsied me with BV. I️ have a doctor apt Monday for an internal exam. Is this pelvic pain sormthing to worry about? All my cultures came back negative so I️m very confused. Looking for answers as this pelvic pain feeds into my hiv fear.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/28/2017
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 6 months ago
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here. Preparing a response and will be with you shortly.

So it sounds like you've been tested for HIV 3 times and each time it's been negative. I think you can feel pretty confident that you are negative. That being said, I have many patients who prefer to be tested for HIV once a year just to get a clean bill of health and to be sure all is well.

The symptoms you're describing (groin/leg/back/pelvic pain) are not symptoms of HIV. The burning in your boyfriend's urethral opening after intercourse is not a symptom of HIV either.

Pelvic pain is very common in women - after all, there are so many muscles down there and tightness/spasm of even one of those muscles can cause everything (back, leg, groin etc) to be sore and achy. There are also a myriad of gynecological problems (endometriosis, painful periods, etc) that can cause pelvic pain, none of which are related to STDs. Pelvic pain is not a specific symptom of HIV. I'm glad you're having an internal exam soon because I think it will be very reassuring to you and help shed some light on what the problem could be.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Thank you for your insight. In July I️ had two new partners who I trust and know do not have hiv. However after having sex with them I️ had painful urination and discomfort. I️ figured I️ had a uti so I️ never went to the doctor. 4 months later I️ feel similar symptoms but they seem worse it’s like a tingling inside my vagina and a little outside and I️t seems to affect my rectum a little as well. I️ still have my internal appointment Monday. I️ have had a cyst before but these symptoms don’t feel cyst like. I️ also had a pap smear in may and I️t was negative. This doesn’t feel normal for me and since all swabs came back normal and std check what could this be? I️ also take cabergone for prolactin issues. I️ am very concerned I’ve been feeling discomfort down there for a few weeks. The pelvic pain has stopped but I️t originally starred with pelvic pain and discomfort in my vagina. Do you think this is linked to my boyfriends sometimes burning urethra after ejaculation?

Cabergoline can cause vaginal dryness, and this in turn can cause the irritation that you both are experiencing. You could try using lube - anything of your choice, or olive or coconut oil is really good too. Apply it to yourself and your partner.

You don’t think there is something more happening? We haven’t had sex in a couple weeks because of this situation. I️ know he did tell me the last time we had sex I️t was very dry when I️ normally am not maybe that could’ve caused irritation. I️ read online people who have similar problems got diagnosed with step b do you think that could be my case? I️t feels like almost like stinging inside my vagina. I️ just want I️t to be fixed. Do you think this is a std worry?

Honestly most STDs cause no symptoms at all.

It sounds more like vaginal irritation (which could be caused by any number of things) rather than an STD, especially if you've had recent testing that was all negative.

I typically tell patients with vaginal irritation to try the following:

- Eat a cup of Activia yogurt per day. it's a good way to replenish the healthy bacteria in the vagina.

- No tub baths, only showers and use unscented Dove bar (rather than scented soaps or vaginal washes). Let soapy water run over the area.

- Leave underwear off at night to let oxygen circulate.

- Use unscented for sensitive skin detergent on your underwear.

- No shaving.

Also, if you are very concerned it's not a bad idea to let your doc take a look at you to make sure all is well.

I️ have the appointment Monday and I️ am going to tell him what I’ve been feeling. Is stinging a symptom of endometriosis? I️ don’t get why I️t seems to sometimes effect my rectum not severe irritation just mild but enough to cause discomfort. I️ am more concerned over everything about my boyfriends sometimes burning. Also are you sure you don’t see any risk from the planned parenthood situation

endometriosis is usually characterized more by pain in the pelvis (not vaginal area or opening) around the time of your periods.

None of your symptoms are concerning for HIV and furthermore it would be very unlikely for you to get HIV from instruments/location that HIV positive people were around 2 weeks prior, because HIV does not survive that long. If you are concerned, there is absolutely no harm in getting tested again.

Just checking in to see if you have any further Qs.

If you are satisfied with the responses provided please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

Do you think I️ should take another oraquick oral swab? Even though I️ had concerns about those are they safe. I️ would order I️t through the mail from a cvs or Walgreens I️ don’t think I️ have the courage to test at a doctors.
What really concerned me is I️ ordered the oraquick through Walgreens and I️t came the package came beat up. The content was sealed. I️ took I️t and 2 weeks later I️ came down with what I️ thought was the flu. I️ went to the doctor and they swabed me in the nose and said I️t didn’t come up positive for the flu. This really fed my anxiety that maybe the oraquick was an unsafe test.

Oraquick in general is pretty reliable, though not quite as accurate as giving a blood specimen. 1 in 12 negative results are falsely negative. The odds are in your favor. there's never any harm in rechecking. Again if you wanted something more accurate, I would go to your doc or to the Health Department.

Please leave a rating by clicking on the stars above if you are satisfied with the responses received. You can still ask Qs after leaving a rating, but the rating ensures that I am compensated for my time. Thanks!

Also does cabergone make you lose weight ? I️ noticed since taking that pill I️ lost about 6-7 pounds. Is this normal ?

This is not a side effect I commonly hear of, however everyone responds to medications differently.

I️ did read on live strong that weight loss can be a common side effect. I️ don’t really see why else I️ would lose weight and I️t happened around when I️ started taking the pill. I️ wasn’t getting my period so do you think the weight loss happened because my body started functioning right ?

Cabergoline is usually a medication prescribed by an endocrinologist (as opposed to an obgyn like me) so may I suggest starting a new question thread looking for an endocrinologist if you have many Qs about the cabergoline?

I️ was just asking do you think I️ should be concerned about the weight loss? I️ just assumed I️t was from the medicine. Also when I️ ask if oraquick oral swab is safe there’s no risk of getting hiv from testing with that right since those were my fears in the past.

There is no risk of contracting HIV through the test itself.

I do not think a 6-7 pound weight loss is concerning, but if you are concerned you may wish to check in with your prescribing doc.

I️ just have one more question my boyfriend has a sore throat and congestion with a canker sore ..are canker sores a sign of anything to be concerned about. A couple months ago he also had similar symptoms with an canker sore
Hello can you please answer this - I am having burning again in the vagina hole area. It came on after sex with my boyfriend the next day. It burns to pee and I have wiped a few times and there has been blood. What do you think is going on I don’t have a doctor appointment until Thursday with my Gyno
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr. J, Board Certified MD replied 5 months ago

The symptoms you're describing do not sound like HIV.

You could have a urinary tract infection (UTI) which could be causing your symptoms, or a yeast infection which could also cause those symptoms. If you are very worried you can call the "on call" line for you doctor's office and they can call out some antibiotics for you until you can get in with your doc Thursday.

This is like third time now after sex I have felt uncomfortable feeling. There is also a bad oder when I urinate. It scares me last time I went to gyno w these symptoms I didn’t have a uti or yeast infection and they misdiagnosed me with BV. Are you sure these symptoms do not sound like hiv? My fears are really getting to me. this has been going on for little less than a. Week.

No. These symptoms do not sound like HIV at all. If you're worried, call your doc to be seen first thing Tues morning for an exam and a swab. Get another HIV test while you're at it because I really do think it will help you sleep better at night.

Just checking in to see if you had any further Qs for me.

If you are satisfied with all the responses to your questions please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

I want to get another test but I will work up to that. I never went to the gyno but I called in flucanzole and feel fine I have an appointment with my gyno in a month. For the last two weeks I have woken up and my chest has been a little sweaty. It doesn’t soak my shirt but there is sweat there can this just be hormones ? My period should be coming and last night my sweat made a tennis ball sweat stain on my shirt and my face was a little sweaty and neck. I am not really sure what this is about but I am a little concerned I figured maybe anxiety or hormones

I agree that it could be either anxiety or hormones. It does seem like you struggle with anxiety, and anxiety can certainly cause sweating, as can hormones depending on your time of the month.

I did in fact get my period today so I believe it was hormones. Thank you.

You are welcome.

If you are satisfied with the responses received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you!

I just have one more question. While I never went to the gyno I am going I. February since the last time I was feeling vagina irritation I found blood when wiping a couple times and there was a foul smell. I got yeast medication it did make me feel better. However at the end of peeing my lower left side will hurt sometime during the pee or the very end. My vagina sill doesn’t feel 100%. Also I have a new fear of Genital Herpes I don’t see any blisters I looked but does this sound like it could be that? I had unprotected sex with someone I trust in July and got a blood test for Hsv 1&2 in October and it was negative. Would that be enough time for antibodies to show up. I am just very nervous.
Hello do I still have access to your help, I would really like to show you a picture