HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

I dated a girl 8 years ago, and she told me that after she…

Customer Question
I dated a girl 8...
I dated a girl 8 years ago, and she told me that after she donated blood (probably at the red cross) she got a call to tell her everything was fine (meaning no hiv, and others). My question is, is it possible at all to get a call to say everything is fine? Or do they only call when it is not fine?. Do they call either way?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
11/17/2017
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 7 months ago

Hello. I'm Dr Chip
Thanks for your question and I'm reviewing it.
I'll be back in a moment with and answer or a request for more information

If the blood is screened for, say, HIV, herpes and hepatitis and it's all negative, no, no phone call is made. If it was HIV positive the patient would be asked to come in to discuss the results

Please let me know if you need any more information

I didnt know they tested herpes in blood donation.... So there would be no exceptions ever to call someone to tell them everything is fine?

No exceptions--if there was no call it was all negative

Well, she said there was a call. She said they call her to tell her that it was all fine. So you would think she was lying?

All I can say is it isn't policy for them to call everyone that donates blood--only if there's a positive

Is it possible to ask them to call you to assure everything is fine?

Yes--or you could just call them to check

She sounded happy and relieved when she told me they had call her and said everything was fine. So now i can only guess that she might have asked to get a call back in that case. They would never ever do it as a courtesy call?. Also are you sure they test for herpes in blood donation?
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr. David, Other replied 7 months ago
Dr. David, Other

This is Dr. David

usually the red cross doesn't do it as a courtesy call if the testing is negative

but they will call if positive

if she asked to be called, she would have been called.

her testing was negative so you don't have to worry

they would not test for herpes

but they do test for HIV and hepatitis.

I have been doubting only because of the fact that they dont call when its negative. So why would she say thety call her to tell her everything is fine?. Also, this haopened over 8 years ago and i have no symptoms now. Im very scared that symptoms could show in the next few years...

I'm not sure why she would stay that.

it sounds like you have a lot of anxiety about this

you can get blood testing for HIV now

I bet your HIV blood test will be negative.

there is absolutely zero chance that they would call her to say everything is fine?. The only absolute option is that she asked to be called?

yes, if she asked to be called, the would have called her.

I bet your testing is negative

don't let your anxiety get out of control here.

if you contracted HIV 8 years ago, you would have symptoms by now.

you don't have HIV.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Thank you doctor. Its just everywhere i read they say it takes 10 years or longer, and it makes me think.

you are welcome

you don't need to worry

get an HIV blood test

I bet it will be negative.

do you see the ratings area?

thanks for using JustAnswer.com