HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

I need your expertise and experience of HIV. 11 days, I saw…

Customer Question
Hi Doctor, I need your...
Hi Doctor, I need your expertise and experience of HIV. 11 days, I saw two CSW at once, but I believe was her friend or girl friend. The fist girl I am ok with because whole time with her was protected sex but second one I am not 100 percent sure reason is because I was sitting on couch and second CSW was sitting on my lap grinding me. My penis was rubbing along her penis and The other girl took of my condom and put a new one, then we had sex. I was incentive on both. Mind/memory recalls maybe it was in three times for 1 min a time so a total 3-5 minutes of unprotected sex or not. I no do know, but I am going worst case. I am going to HIV-RNA test on Monday but each minute I am stressing out. What is my chances or real life experiences of getting HIV. I heard less than 1 percent or 1-100 chance but I wanted your thoughts?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
11/4/2017
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

There is no data of the risk associated with a partial sexual encounter of penile-vaginal sex. However, the risk clearly would be less than the risk of a complete sexual encounter of penile-vaginal sex. The average risk to the male of a single encounter of unprotected penile-vaginal sex is much less than 1%. The average risk to the male of a single encounter of unprotected penile-vaginal sex with an untreated woman is about 0.05%, which also means that 99.95% do not get infected.

If you do not know her HIV status, then your actual risk would be even lower, by an amount that reflects the prevalence of HIV in your local community, or ideally the prevalence of HIV among CSW in your community. In addition, if she is HIV positive and being treated, then that would also decrease your risk.

But in the worst case scenario that she was HIV positive and is not receiving treatment, then the average risk would be 0.05%.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know. Simply click on Reply to Expert to ask any follow-up question.

Sorry, did not tell you best picture. She is a she male escort both of them.

If you were the insertive partner in anal sex, then the risk is higher, although still much less than 1%. The best estimate of the average risk to a male that is the insertive partner in an anal sex encounter with an HIV positive partner is about 0.06% for circumcised men and about 0.11% for uncircumcised men. Again, these risks are for a complete encounter, as there is no data on the risk of a partial encounter.

The risk is much greater for the receptive partner in anal sex, about 1.4%, but it sounds like you were the insertive partner during this encounter.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Thank you, ***** ***** insertive partner in anal sex and I am circumcised too. What be your recommendation, would you test? I paid for HIV-RNA test but have not gone to lab today because they closed at 11am. I just missed them. Should I test on Monday on RNA or wait 4 gen at 28 days or not at all. Very small margin 0.11 %, . The sex was not rough at all, gentle. Thoughts? I heard Oral sex on a man is very very small too at 0.06% chance so I am tring to compare correlation so again .11% is so so so low.. My brain hurts on what to do

It is generally not necessary to be tested after every encounter with someone of unknown HIV status. However, it is also OK to perform testing when someone is anxious about an encounter.

When performing testing, I recommend waiting and performing a fourth generation HIV test. The RNA test is very good, but it has a fair amount of false positive results. And when checking someone with a risk such as discussed above, most of the positive results will be false positives. If there is a false positive, then we cannot prove that it is a false positive until sufficient time has passed for the antibody test to be reliable. If testing is being done because someone is anxious, then getting a positive result will exacerbate the anxiety, even when told that it is likely a false positive.

I agree , that's why I kind of held off RNA test. I understand 28 days is optional test date because it ensures it covers all folks and probably cover legal . In reality , can i test sooner to get some peace also do not Want a false negative either . I read 17 days would give me peace but what is your thoughts ?

An earlier test is more likely to be a false negative. A fourth generation test may be positive at 17 days, but the average time to a positive fourth generation test is about 21-22 days. So, at 17 days, most people that are ultimately found to be positive would still be negative. 4 weeks is recommended as the initial test, as the test is about 90-95% accurate by 4 weeks.

Whether an earlier test would provide peace of mind depends upon the individual. But for most people, waiting until 4 weeks, when the test is more accurate, is preferable.

Ok, my understanding at 2 weeks test looks for P-24 and 21-22 looks for Antibody so it looks for both at 4 weeks. I would assume at 2 weeks test could only pick up P-24? Correct? I understand 3 Gen is only Antibody avg is same above recommended for 90 days. I can do 4 Gen but I was hoping I can do it tomorrow at 14 days?

Yes, at 2 weeks, the P24 component of the test is the primary aspect that would detect HIV, but the P24 component is not even close to 100%, which is why we never order the P24 antigen test, by itself.

The average time to a positive test that I quoted above is by either component of the fourth generation test.

Please provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.