HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

Q. Results of HIV RT PCR are negative after 8 days of

Customer Question
exposure should i repeat the...
Q. Results of HIV RT PCR are negative after 8 days of exposure should i repeat the test after 28 days
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
10/5/2017
HIV and AIDS Expert: skindoctor2000, Doctor (MD) replied 7 months ago
skindoctor2000
skindoctor2000, Doctor (MD)

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Medicine specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

No , You don't need to repeat the test after 28 days unless you have symptoms like fever, swollen glands, rash, sores in the mouth

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

i want to know that hiv rt pcr is reliable after 8 days or not??

Yes ofcourse it is reliable and hence you do not need to repeat the test. PCR is an ultimate test.

sir actually i want to know that after how many days of exposure this test can be used someone told me that it is used after 21 days of exposure

PCR can be done after 7 days of exposure.

Hello

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.

sir some doctors say that rt pcr is reliable only after 14 days is it correct?
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 7 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

PCR test is positive anywhere from 3days to 6 weeks post exposure. A negative test does not necessarily mean you are HIV negative as the viral load can be low in early untreated HIV cases hence undetectable. So you must get a repeat test at 4-6 weeks ideally to be sure about your status.

I hope it ansewered your query.

Let me know if you have any more queries.

hope it was helpful.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Regards.

i have done this test on 8th day of exposure and report is negative should i repeat the test later

If you think the exposure you had was risk-prone e.g unprotected vaginal intercourse with a sex worker , girl with multiple sex partners etc and / or you have been experiencing symptoms suggestive of an early HIV infection like fever, rash, sore throat, swollen glands etc then its mandatory to get a repeat HIV test at 28 days.

Dear customer you need to click 5 stars in the rating corner for leavimg me a positive rating if it was helpful. Thats how we get our due share for our work.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor