HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

I have a transmission question about HIV. So 16 days ago I…

Customer Question
I have a transmission...

I have a transmission question about HIV

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Ok so 16 days ago I had protected sex with a sex worker. She was Vietnamese. I didn't insert my penis without a condom however it did touch her vagina for maybe a minute. I also gave her oral sex

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this?

I am on PEP which was administered 48 hours after the encounter

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No other information but that is not my question regard me I wanted to ask that with the oral and her fluids being on my hand.....how long is the virus still active

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
10/3/2017
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 10 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

It depends upon what you mean when you ask about whether the virus is still active. Do you mean that the virus is able to infect a third person if you were to contact them with your mouth or hand?

If this is not what you mean, could you clarify what you mean?

I had asked for clarification of what you mean by active and have not heard back.

If by active, you mean that the virus is able to infect a third person if you were to contact that third person, the answer is that the virus will not remain active for any significant length of time, and certainly not long enough to transmit the virus to a third person.

If HIV could be transmitted to a third person via this mechanism, then virgins could acquire HIV by this mechanism, and that simply does not happen.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.