HIV and AIDS

Ask HIV and AIDS Experts. Get answers to your HIV and AIDS questions

I had a protected sex 6 weeks ago. And I'm having 3 circular…

Customer Question
I had a protected...

I had a protected sex 6 weeks ago. And I'm having 3 circular red patches like rashes but one at a time on my arm. Now I'm worried that I might get infected. I was very sure my condom didn't break however I did not perform any post test like putting water into the condom to check for leakage. I asked my partner but she said she has been clean. I'm waiting for the 3 month mark to go for a test. However this 1 ongoing particular red patch on my arm is bothering me.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?

I'm good. Only occasional headaches but I've been having headaches. It's normal to me. Maybe because of the cigarettes that I smoke as well.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I guess not?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: HIV and AIDS
9/18/2017
HIV and AIDS Expert: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

I could not seem to post any picture here.

You can use the paper clip icon on this page to upload it

I'm trying to send right now.

Got it--thanks

Is that flat?

And does it itch?

It was flat and both didn't itch. It's gone now though.

OK

Nothing at all serious

I was just a patch of eczema--very common dermatitis condition

It wasn't in any way related to any STD

Please let me know if you need any more information

I need to know how could I noticed should there be any failure on the condom. Whats the chances of contracting or getting infected by STDs on a single exposure if I wasn't taught the proper usage of wearing a condom?
Problem is back then I wasn't aware that there's such thing as "improper use of condom" for all I know one just has to "roll it down" and "good to go".

So long as the condom covered the head an most of the shaft of you penis you had it on right

The chances of a one-time exposure with an intact condom causing, say, HIV, are zero

A rash is perhaps one of the symptoms right?
My question is could it be just a one single rash on its own or more likely to be clustered from a few rashes?

Only in a small number of patients and what you showed me wasn't an HIV rash

The HIV rash is much smaller, a different color, and spread over a good part of the body

You really don't need to worry about this

How about this? It itch so bad when touch. It seemed like an insect bite though.

Looks the same as the others but it could be an insect bite--but definitely not an HIV rash

Thank you so much doctor.

My pleasure

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

Sorry 1 more question. Does the symptoms come at once ? Like does the flu comes with the rashes and other symptoms as a package on they're separately?

The rash--if it occurs--and the flu-like symptoms usually occur in about 4-6 weeks

But the vast majority of patients that contract HIV don't get either of those

The risk that I had was perhaps low, and as what you said, ZERO. This week is the 6th/7th week since the exposure and I don't know why I'm starting to get the symptoms. Suddenly I had a mild sore throat, light cough, headaches, stiff neck, and I just discovered a group of red dots on my right arm(will attach a pic of it).

I looked at that photo and I'll be happy to discuss it with you if you'll accept the extra time offer I'm sending

It's fine. Thank you for your time.

My pleasure