Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I had an exposure. Unprotected anal and vaginal sex with a

Customer Question

Hi, I had an exposure. Unprotected anal and vaginal sex with a commercial sex worker (the condom broke). Is this something I need be extremely worried about? As in do I need to take a pcr rna at 13 days? And if that comes back negative is it conclusive?
JA: Is this your first time reaching out for information about this? In general, how would you describe your overall health?
Customer: First time yes. But I usually get tested every six months as I am very worried about stds
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not at all. Perfectly healthy
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 2 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Can you first tell me exactly what happened with the condom?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Dr. Chip, the condom actually slipped off during anal sex and we--drunkenly--continued on to vaginal sex. Given my understanding is relatively unlikely that she had hiv and even more unlikely that it was transmitted during penetrative sex.

OK

Of course if she were negative the risk would be zero

But the risk otherwise, while very low, isn't zero

If the pcr ma test were positive at the two week mark that would be accurate but if it were negative you'd need to retest at the 2 month mark to confirm you were truly negative

Please let me know if you need any more information