Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hiv

Customer Question

Hiv
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

What question do you have about HIV?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HiI want to a brothel few days ago and I had sex with this lady and I had the condom on but I can remember that the condom was half way when I took my penis out my sperm was in the condom and bye the side they was my sperm or the lady fluid and when I took the condom of and I filled it with water they was no leaks in the condom. 1 my question if the lady fluid from her vagina want in to my condom can I catch hiv ?

There is a very small risk in this situation.

When condoms are studied in a lab, the HIV virus cannot penetrate a latex condom. However, when condoms are studied in real world use, such as in couples in which only one person is infected, consistent and correct use of condoms is associated with about a 90% reduction in the risk of transmission of HIV. Many experts, quoting the studies in a lab, claim that the small failure rate in the real world experience reflects a failure or breakage of the condom. If the condom has partially slipped off, that would be considered a partial failure.

There is no ability of the studies to identify whether fluid from the vagina went into the condom, but the fact that it partially slipped off would be considered a failure regardless of whether it can be proven that vagina fluid entered the condom.

However, since the condom was still partly in place, there is some benefit. The average risk to the male of a single episode of unprotected penile-vaginal sex with an HIV positive female is about 0.04%, which also means that 99.96% will not get infected. If the condom provides 90% protection, then the risk decreases to 0.004%. If the lady is of unknown HIV status, your actual risk would be lower, by a factor that is commensurate with the prevalence of HIV among sex workers in your community. If she is HIV positive and is taking HIV medicines, that also would decrease the risk.

So, when you ask if you can catch HIV from this encounter, the answer is yes, but the risk is low. In the worst case scenario (that she is definitely HIV positive and not taking any HIV medicines), the risk would be about 0.004%.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can catch hiv and I need to go for a test

Although recommendations vary slightly from one country to another, the usual recommendation is that it is not necessary to get tested after each encounter with someone of unknown HIV status that carries this level of risk. However, if someone is anxious over this small level of risk, there is no problem with getting tested.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will my results be positive ?

It is very low likelihood that your results will be positive. The likelihood that your results will be positive are the same as the odds of getting infected that I noted above.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still they

Yes, although I will be going to bed shortly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am just worried so just sample question do you think that out of 100 what the chance me catching hiv

Out of 100 people in a similar situation, the odds are that none will catch HIV, even if she was definitely HIV positive. The 0.004% chance that I noted above can also be said that it is 1 chance in 25,000.

So, out of 100, it is more likely that none would get infected. It would require 25,000 such encounters for one person to be infected.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi

Hello. I am back online.

What further information are you seeking?