imdr06
imdr06, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  I am a certified HIV Specialist/Physician as well as board-certified Internist. I have a large HIV practice.
37530465

If a person has Hiv and they have a cut in the scalp area of

Customer Question

If a person has Hiv and they have a cut in the scalp area of they head then it bled a little bit and then I touched the cut with the blood on it and I put it in my mouth immediately after I touched it..would I get hiv?. Please I need a simple pointblank answer
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 6 months ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com question/answer interface.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. For your review, here is my direct link with my current ratings: http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-familydoctor/

I have read your post and observations and concern about HIV. I will first provide a summary answer to your question, AND, if you would prefer some additional back-and-forth, with additional questions and more details clarified, I'm more than happy to stay around with you, free of any additional cost to you. You can continue to ask questions and receive answers without additional charges.

Our goal here is for your satisfaction, and I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

The simplest, point-blank answer is so close to "no" that it is almost "no," but... in medicine, because it is a science that is continually growing and learning new things, we are very shy to ever be 100% certain about anything. There are infinitesimally small possibilities of freak occurrences where a single drop of blood that contained HIV and was introduced into a mouth, and HAPPENED to contact a cut in your mouth...and your immune system didn't happen to kill the virus before it got in.. in that amazingly/nearly-impossibly unlikely scenario, there is a tiny possibility.