Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have two questions I need a answer for both of em..if I

Customer Question

I have two questions I need a answer for both of em..if I was a normal conversation with a person who is hiv positive and they spit into my mouth while where talking and the spit had a little bit of blood in it.. would I get hiv through that?? And also if I found a FRESH small drop of blood underneath my fingernail but it was not mine and not sure where it came from would I get Hiv through that and it was from an hiv positive person? Give me answer for each question and please explain your answer..POINTBLANK ANSWER PLEASE
Category: HIV and AIDS
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

There has never been a documented case of transmission of HIV from spit in an encounter such as your first example. In fact, there also have never been a documented case of transmission from saliva transferred during kissing, including situations in which there is presumably drops of blood present.

There also would not be risk associated with blood found under the fingernail, because there is still no route for the virus to enter the body.

There is a theoretic risk of transmission of HIV whenever there is bleeding from a fresh cut or sore from an infected person that then comes in contact with an open cut or sore on a recipient person. This theoretic risk can create risk in situations that are clearly otherwise without risk, such as shaking hands. But the reality is that this is not a situation that is found to typically be the method of infection. It is worth noting that if there was any realistic risk associated with such encounters, then virgins are at as much risk as anyone else, and it is unheard of for a virgin (that is also not a drug user) to become infected with HIV or any blood borne germ.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
A POINTBLANK ANSWER IS NO?

Correct.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just by having a normal conversation with an Hiv person who spits saliva with blood in it then went into my mouth

I am not sure what you are asking that is different than what you asked above, but if you are asking the same question again for emphasis and repetition, the answer is the same that there is no documented case of transmission in such a scenario.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was reffering to the same question above

Then the answer is the same.